Thread: Kifiaru 8 man with a nest?

Default Kifiaru 8 man with a nest?

Going on the yukon moose drop off hunt second half of September. Looking for advice on how to set up 8man tipi for three guys that would keep bugs away. I have peviously used the 10x10 bomb shelter; although not as roomy, it had no bugs due to having a net/floor. This year i picked up the tipi but a little concerned about bugs in the soft tundra. The place we are going is as buggy as most in alaska.
    I thought about getting three small nests that people use for smaller SL-3 and 5, but i doubt that three nests would fit due to having a center pole.
    How bad are the bugs inside a tipi without a nest?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Vadim

I've never had a problem with bugs in a tipi including caribou in August and moose in September.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Do you have the net for the door? Just have everyone keep the door shut and you shouldn't have any problems. Used one on last years moose hunt of the first time and it worked great.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I don't have a net, just the liner and floor cloth, i think.

I know this is a little old hopefully you haven't left yet, but grab a Thermacell. The tipi seems to funnel all your heat and carbon dioxide to the top so the bugs all collect up there and don't seem to bother you much. If they are bad, light up a Thermacell for a while, whatever is in there concentrates in the peak and it'll be raining dying mosquitos in no time.

I was just up off Denali Highway for Caribou and we had no bugs, good luck.

You won't run into much trouble with the bugs in the tipi.

We have been out in PWS when the no-see-ums were frightening - like make a grown man scream then cry scary - and the tipi or moving boat on open water were our only places to get away from them.

8 man - three guys - with gear in the tipi - it will be a little cozy.

Back from the hunt, and have to say the bugs were not an issue at all. Even when you get inside the tent during the day, they were concentrating along the bottom of the walls and the top of the cone ( they must be claustrophobic, so all they could think of was getting out :-), never noticed them flying around inside the tent.
    Usually we went into the tent around 10pm, so by that time they are gone anyways.
    As far as space, our packs were usually left outside hanging on trees under a tarp, as were most of the food bags. With that setup, we could easily sleep 4 people with a stove. Last thing- liner is a must have for condensation control.

Tip: Before you go on a hunt, pull your tipi out of the storage bag. Spray the outside bottom, the zipper doors, and the inside top cone with permethrin (Sawyer brand) repellent and let dry. One application is good for the season. Bugs will NOT tolerate permethrin and you'll be amazed at how few get inside. You can also choose to carry a spray can of permethrin with you. Overspray the outside bottom (meaning spray some on the ground) and bugs will stay away.

I don't know for sure - but I would be careful what you spray onto silnylon.

The 8 man is fine if you store your gear outside in the trees - we didn't have trees on our Brooks hunt this year. you definately need a liner in a tipi. My wife made mine and she put little plastic hooks on the top and bottom with 1/8" bungi cord - it goes up way faster than tieing them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I don't know for sure - but I would be careful what you spray onto silnylon.

The 8 man is fine if you store your gear outside in the trees - we didn't have trees on our Brooks hunt this year. you definately need a liner in a tipi. My wife made mine and she put little plastic hooks on the top and bottom with 1/8" bungi cord - it goes up way faster than tieing them on.
    Bull,
    Can you provide more details on your homemade liner? I just bought a used 8man without a liner.