Thread: reshaping synthic stock??

Default reshaping synthic stock??

I have a cooper 338-06 in the excaliber model. I love the rifle it shoots great and the caliber works good for hunting in alaska. The only thing that I do not like about it is how thick the forarm and hand well is on the rifle. My question is can you get a synthic stock reshaped to Winchester Feather weight style stock and then repaint it? I would not be affecting the barrel channel ect, just the outside. Anyone heard of someone doing this? Any info would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I have a cooper 338-06 in the excaliber model. I love the rifle it shoots great and the caliber works good for hunting in alaska. The only thing that I do not like about it is how thick the forarm and hand well is on the rifle. My question is can you get a synthic stock reshaped to Winchester Feather weight style stock and then repaint it? I would not be affecting the barrel channel ect, just the outside. Anyone heard of someone doing this? Any info would be great.
    Depends on the composition of the stock, but in all likelihood is not realistically feasible. Best to buy a new stock in the shape you want, and perhaps sell the old one.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Call Cooper and see if they have a stock in the Winchester profile you like ! If not contact synthetic stock companies like McMillan, Belle & Carlson, etc. to see if they offer your desired profile. Once a replacement is found, just sell the current stock ! The carbon fiber, kevlar and fiberglass composites often have voids and foam cores; once the outside hull is breached the stock strength and rigidity is comprimised.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

don't try it ! A cooper stock should have some decent intrinsic value or they may even agree to work a trade of some kind with you - Bell & Carlson makes good stuff but pretty generic IMO - MPI in Portland OR does anything you want and they do it well but they're a bit spendy - your first stop should be Cooper for sure, they'll know who can, if they can't help ya ....

Don't try it...if your time is worth anything, it will be cheaper in the long run to have a custom stock made by professionals to your specs. Years ago I cut down a B&C and it was a disaster.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.