Thread: Freighters and long range moose hunting

Default Freighters and long range moose hunting

Been curious about freighter canoes for awhile and am considering moving to one for our trips up the Koyukuk for moose hunting. Reading what I can but still very much in the novice stage as I owned canoes in the past but just used them for light fishing in the lower 48 before moving up here many years ago.

We are gear hogs and like to carry a lot of stuff. Read that Scott has a 22 foot freighter that will take a 40 hp outboard. When you add a motor of this size to a canoe do you use a tiller or can you use a remote steering station for comfort?
    Electric or manual start? How fast will these rigs run when fully loaded with 2 adults, gas, and all the gear? Do they get on step? Do you still add a depth finder and gps to them? How about a lightweight basic top to keep the rain off you while traveling?
    If you are running a 40 hp in a fully loaded canoe, how many gallons of gas would you use per hour running at what speed?

Finally, is the Scott the largest canoe made?

Thanks for the help.

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

24 June 12 -1 (15).jpg James Bay, 50 hp Tohatsu (likes a 11 pitch prop), homemade remote console w/40 gal tank, gps chart plotter, radio, 12volt plug, pot puller plug, bilge pump, lights. 19 knots top end, cruise at 16-17. Ran about 60 miles in PWS under 10 gallons and brought home a gallon of shrimp. Thinking about a future Koyukuk trip myself. I'm guessing around 100-125 gallons top end from the bridge.

Sweet looking ride. love to see more photos.

DSCF1353.jpgFactory color last year. DSCF1408.jpgFor perspective. Left to right - James Bay, Clipper Mac 18, 17' Esquif Cargo.

Thanks! So many toys and so little time. That James bay is some thing else!