Thread: Lowa Hunter GTX Extreme's

Default Lowa Hunter GTX Extreme's

What are you guys doing to them right out of the box? Other than breaking them in, what should I plan on doing to keep them in good shape? This will be my first pair of "quality" hunting/hiking/backpacking boots and I'd like them to last. Up until now, I'd just blow through a cheaper pair and replace when they were worn out. Any products you suggest to prolong the life of these?

I have been using Nikwax since I got mine and have been happy with it. I didn't break them in either just put them on and went on a two week. Great boots and the only boots that have never given me a blister!

http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-us/prod...-1&fabricid=-1

I also use Nikwax and I am very careful to keep them clean as soon as I get home. One of the first to-do's when I get home. I just wore mine around the house for an hour or so a couple times a week. I think I was training my feet, not wearing in a boot.

Yep.......wash the dirt off them often and treat them with Nikwax after.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I would go with this stuff.

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/search.cfm?search=care

My Kennetrek boots broke down and while I feel pretty confident that it was simply the boot failing I did use Aqueous Wax from nix wax and would concede that it may have helped to soften the leather. I will not be using it on any future leather mountaineering boots.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I would go with this stuff.

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/search.cfm?search=care

My Kennetrek boots broke down and while I feel pretty confident that it was simply the boot failing I did use Aqueous Wax from nix wax and would concede that it may have helped to soften the leather. I will not be using it on any future leather mountaineering boots.
    Had you said you used mink oil or the like on your boots then I too would have said yes, they may have been the reason they broke down. I don't believe Nikwax will do that. Reason I say this is because I used it on my Meindls and years later they are still a very rigid boot.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!