Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest And Greatest Sheep Pack?

Default Latest And Greatest Sheep Pack?

Haven't seen it on here yet so figured i would share. The numbers are pretty impressive... Thoughts anyone?

http://stoneglacier.com/

Wow, looks really nice.

Just a thought though; when I have boned out meat, it rarely stays in an upright position as shown in their loaded pictures. Maybe you could get the straps tight enough to prevent the meat from moving, but it could be tough to keep it from sliding down.

I've finding the specs a little confusing. Is it 3.9 lbs for the whole deal ready to roll? Or is it 3.9 lbs bag + 2.2 lbs for the frame?

I would call the frame weight very good either way. And although I don't really consider myself an "early adopter", I would tend to trust a new design by Kurt Racicot far more than say... Kuiu for example. Although I don't know the guy, I believe he is considered a pretty hard core sheep guy, with a string of monster rams to his credit.

He seems to have relocated from Alaska to Bozeman. Wonder what local pack making outfit down there he could possibly use to stitch these things up?

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    I've finding the specs a little confusing. Is it 3.9 lbs for the whole deal ready to roll? Or is it 3.9 lbs bag + 2.2 lbs for the frame?

Yk
    Well under the specs for the Solo it says "3.4lbs (Complete with frame)", and for the Terminus "3.9 (Complete with frame)". So I'm guessing that the weights provided include the pack and frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post

3.9 Complete. After looking at the pack click on the specs option.

with a string of monster rams to his credit.

Yk
    How true...

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    Well under the specs for the Solo it says "3.4lbs (Complete with frame)", and for the Terminus "3.9 (Complete with frame)". So I'm guessing that the weights provided include the pack and frame.
    Missed that.. thanks. Wow, that is one very light bag. Obviously zero frills to get to that spec. Not a pack for people who like pockets.

Very interesting. Somebody on here will buy one I'm sure. Look forward to field reports.

Yk

Im not one to be a test dummy but wow, shaving around 6 pounds off my barneys pack does sound quite nice..

I like the looks of it. Considering I always pack my meat in a dry bag having that design with the load shelf is nice. I could see me using that for my overnight Sitka hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    Im not one to be a test dummy but wow, shaving around 6 pounds off my barneys pack does sound quite nice..
    No kiddin! That's another 6lb of food I can pack! Rob will be all over this!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I like that load shelf as well. My Tezing 6000 has a load shelf and it seems to be good design that I think alot of pack makers might pick up on. I just test fitted my pack with 10 days of sheep gear and food. I stuffed all the food into the load shelf since it weighs the most and packed all my gear in the rest, threw it on my back and I was pretty pleased with how it felt. tezing does have pockets for us "stash" gurus, I like but could easily do without. Surprised they used cordura instead of dyneema.

I do like it when the hipbelt tesioners pull toward the body instead of pulling toward the back. Seems to make snugging up that pack much easier. Not that this pack has them, but if they're listening...

I emailed Kurt with a couple questions. Figured I might as well post his response to provide some more info on the packs:

Eric,
    Thanks for your interest in the packs. I have used the 3300 platform exclusively, my hunts range from 8 days to 12. In order to use the Solo for what you do, your gear has to be dialed. Typically I can fit all of my 4 season gear in the bag with 5 to 6 days of food. If I am going any longer than that, food takes up too many cubic inches. For the longer trips I normally put all my food in my meat bag on the load shelf between the frame. After a few days on the ground I have used enough food to transfer it to the bag. It is a tight fit, but it works well for me. For more flexibility, I would suggest he 6000. It has the load shelf as well, but in reality if your gear is even semi-dialed, you will only use 4000 cubes.
    There is zero meat/load shift if the pack is loaded correctly. The key is to lay the pack flat on the ground, disconnect the top compression straps and roll the bag off to the side, then lay the the meat bag directly on the frame. Make sure the meat is evenly distributed on the frame from top to bottom, then re-attach the bag and tighten the compression straps. The pics on the About page show a couple of loads from the past. You will notice the meat is an even thickness up the frame and will not shift down into a ball. Both pics were after packing the whole day, neither load shifted. The key is even compression and how you load it. I will have some videos up on the site in the near future after packs start shipping in Sept that will demonstrate several of the techniques that work best with this design.
    Thanks again for your interest and best of luck on your hunts this fall!
    Kurt

Thanks for sharing that email labman, very informative. It'll be interested to see his videos when he posts them. I heard about these packs through captivateM outdoors. They have already used the pack and speak very highly of it, which gives me a boost of confidence knowing those guys are pretty hardcore as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    No kiddin! That's another 6lb of food I can pack! Rob will be all over this!
    Hey whats wrong with liking food on sheep hunts?

Man, I'm really thinking about ordering one of these packs. Any of you hardcore pack guys out there see any issues with this design before I pull the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Man, I'm really thinking about ordering one of these packs. Any of you hardcore pack guys out there see any issues with this design before I pull the trigger?
    You have to be able to live with next to no pockets. Not a big deal to me except for the spotter. That would be a bummer, especially on the larger top loading pack.

Once the real hardcore pack geeks get back from sheep hunting this week, you may get more comments.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Other guys will have an opinion on this, but I have a real tough time with 6000ci. IMHO that's not enough volume unless you're using super lightweight compact everything. While that's not a bad plan overall, it may require a revamp of the rest of your gear. Some of my best and most useful stuff isn't really lightweight or compact.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Other guys will have an opinion on this, but I have a real tough time with 6000ci. IMHO that's not enough volume unless you're using super lightweight compact everything. While that's not a bad plan overall, it may require a revamp of the rest of your gear. Some of my best and most useful stuff isn't really lightweight or compact.
    As a "do all" pack I would agree that 6000 ci is marginal. As a dedicated mountain pack, I could make it work no problem, especially with the load sling to take the meat. I did it for years with a pack smaller than that.

Yk

That's a good lookin pack! Really liking the load sling.

Time to convince momma she needs my Barneys pack, and I need an upgrade.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

For the last 4 years ive used an Eberlestock Dragonfly, which is really versatile & has good space, pockets etc. The problem is with a few accessories this pack hits the scale at 10+ pounds. I've suffered through a few hunts with this pack loaded down so the thought of a 3 pound pack is really starting to sound good. It would be nice to have a spotting scope pocket but according to their website it seems like one is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    That's a good lookin pack! Really liking the load sling.

Time to convince momma she needs my Barneys pack, and I need an upgrade.

So would this be an upgrade to a Barney's? I literally JUST bought a Barney's. It's still at the store because I'm not home from the slope, yet, to pick it up. I kinda like the idea of my pack being able to carry my rifle as well as pockets for stuff. Apart from the pockets, how are you guys thinking this will compare to a Barney's?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast