Thread: Camo Choice for Caribou Haul Road Bow Hunt

Question Camo Choice for Caribou Haul Road Bow Hunt

I keep hearing mixed opinions on choice of camo...what do you find ideal?

Mil surplus German fleck camo. It's also my fav for high country when the berry leaves are turning red, cheap too! Don't forget to pack over whites as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskalife View Post

Stuff is already turning brown up here, so I'd keep that in mind. I don't know when you're planning to hunt, but if you're really green, you're going to stick out.

once the tundra turns yellow/reds, asat works great! early I prefer predator green. Either way you're going to stick out.

Kuiu! Just got back from a week long hunt and sitting up against the rocks, gravel bars, or lighter tundra...invisible. I say worry less about color and more about big patterns that will break up your silhouette.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i like the outfitter gray... the Kuiu also is good up there.. any of the real tree, mossy oak blends do not have enough light in them and blob up and look dark at 3o yards
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

While I was there last week, the Mossy Oak Break up I was wearing was the cats meow. I was also wearing some sitka mountain mimicry at times, and it sucked unless sitting in the gravel bars, or scree run outs. Anything with yellow and red will work well.
    Good Luck
    Colby Jack

When I was up there last year, I didn't have any camo. We just wore dull colors like gray, tan, light olive, etc. My beef was with my ungodly odor after chasing those critters around all day. Keep the wind in your face, move slowly, and if they see you, they'll probably put their heads down and keep eating. If it's a nosy enough cow, though, she'll just run at you full bore, bringing the whole group with her, snort in your face, blow your cover, and send the rest of them charging the other direction while, in your mind, you shoot that cow in the face and laugh out of pure spite!! Bitter much? Sh**! Maybe I should have had camo....

On camo i truely believe that those bou see freaking everything you stick out no matter what you wear. I have said this numerous times use available terrain to your advantage, keep something between you and the bou. Dont get that wrapped around camo pattern but dont wear something crazy either.

Hope it makes sense to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by alaskalife View Post
    Wait till it snows then wear whites. They seem to ignore me when I'm wearing them.

The snow flew up here last night, but I haven't seen a caribou in over a week.

probably wont like my answer and I am not tryin to be rude but the truth is you cant buy skill.. camo is useless if you do everything else wrong...if you do everything right you dont need camo.. camo is for hunters not game.. all these camo patterns are relatively modern and there were peleny of animals harvested long before....

I dont even have a camo bow... both these critters were taken with a bright flag pattern and silver target bow up on the haul rd...

Great animals, hate the cleaning on the second. been there!!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    probably wont like my answer and I am not tryin to be rude but the truth is you cant buy skill.. camo is useless if you do everything else wrong...if you do everything right you dont need camo.. camo is for hunters not game.. all these camo patterns are relatively modern and there were peleny of animals harvested long before....

I dont even have a camo bow... both these critters were taken with a bright flag pattern and silver target bow up on the haul rd...
    looking at those pics... any wonder you keep to your self with a mug like that...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    bright flag pattern
    Don't see this in the photos....

Quote Originally Posted by injun joe View Post
    Don't see this in the photos....
    sorry dont have a close up to please you...the bow has silver cams..target limbs and and a flag pattern riser....I am sure if you care that much you can research a pic....geezh