Thread: getting boat unstuck

Default getting boat unstuck

I did the koyukuk a few years ago with a friend. We put in on the Yukon at the high bridge. We were in a 26ft hewes pacific cruiser. We made it there and back with no major incidences. Though we polished the props a little a few times. My friend had gone once before with someone else who had a flat bottom boat and many trips up there under his belt. When we went it was with a little bit nievity and 5 or 6 maps. Before going, a different friend who goes there every year saw my maps and shook his head, left the room and returned with a STACK of maps. To my great fortune he had just made a new copy of maps for himself and gave me his old ones. Blood, mud, rips and years of notes. 28 maps to my 5 or 6. Thank you R.K. Now there was plenty of white knuckle times when you are cruising down river and the depth goes from 15-20 feet very quickly to 2 feet and you could be a quarter mile from shoer on either side. I know that 26 hewes craft is not ideal for this trip. Anyhow what can you do when you cruising along and it goes from 12 feet to onto a submerged sandbar before you can react? I've heard its tough to get another boat to come near for fear of same thing happening to them. Some say unload the boat. Can be tough if the backup boat is and was when we last went, a small conoe. Any advice out there?

If you still have water around you then you can use it to your advantage. We have rocked a stuck boat back and forth and slowly the sand under the boat washes out and then we were able to push it back into deeper water. If you have a kicker and extra prop you can use it to erode the sand away and then push the boat into the hole you just washed out. Watch your piss tube to be sure your not plugging off and overheating.

Another thing to add. Don't just drive down the river. Read the river and stay in the channel. Most of the time the water is deeper closer to shore than way out in the middle.

One item that could be of use is a old surplus parachute, cargo would be best. Need to make sure the water isn't getting a lot shallower up ahead of you or could just make problems worse. Put the parachute ahead of the boat tied off to bow and let it fill with water, water current will pull you out (or get you stuck worse). This is common for jets being stuck on sand/gravel bar, not so sure about big boat like yours but should work. Lots of pulling power from this set up. Bud
    Wasilla

Thanks for replies guys. We do try to watch for and stay in the channel. At times it seems all you could find was 2 feet of water . We did have to rock that boat off of the shore the river after returning from a spot we hunted all day. The wakes from other boats going by seemed to push and rock the boat further onto the shore. It is alot of boat for a couple of guys to rock. I wondered about something like the parashute idea. Heck yeah that would be alot of pulling power. Might have to reinforce a couple cletes.

I've gotten myself stuck several times and I will tell you each time you get stuck you will bring more gear the next time, you will find what you have did not work as good as you had hope. For instance you end up high and dry, 20 feet from any water, you have a rope, it two short, there is no trees or brush that is strong enough to hold or in order to get to a tree you have to cross deep water, any one problem making the rope worst less.

Your stuck in muck and your boat is glue to the bottom by the suction. There are several thing you can do to break the suction, put brush under the boat, if you have a tarp that will also work if you can pull the boat over the brush. One of the many thing I carry is a hi-lift jack, it has been a life saver using it to lift up the boat to put brush under it or swing it around.

What I suggest you or anyone who want to learn what it takes to get unstuck; is stick your boat and see what it takes to get unstuck. I know you not going to do it, no body dose.

Shovel, ax, rope, hi-lift, tarp, 2x4, ply-wood 2'x3', anchor, 3k winch on the bows that rotated 180*, pulley to increase pulling power.

If you find this helpful tell me, hint "*".

My main items are a rope come-along and a couple of long spools of rope.

If you decide on the parachute idea then be sure you have a center line connecte to the middle of the parachute and back to the boat. Once it gets you unstuck the parachute keeps pulling you. Not many people man enough to pull a wet parachute back to the boat. Cut all the lines but the center and then pull it to the boat. Go to shore and stash the parachute in the woods until it's dry. It is amazing how heavy they get when wet. Plus this avoids the parachute from getting lost and then sucked up in your prop or someone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    If you decide on the parachute idea then be sure you have a center line connecte to the middle of the parachute and back to the boat. Once it gets you unstuck the parachute keeps pulling you. Not many people man enough to pull a wet parachute back to the boat. Cut all the lines but the center and then pull it to the boat. Go to shore and stash the parachute in the woods until it's dry. It is amazing how heavy they get when wet. Plus this avoids the parachute from getting lost and then sucked up in your prop or someone elses.
    Or call your local frieghter to help you out! If he will cuz he never gets any rum. So alaskabliss sounds like you have a little experience at getting stuck,,,, er I mean unstuck!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Or call your local frieghter to help you out! If he will cuz he never gets any rum. So alaskabliss sounds like you have a little experience at getting stuck,,,, er I mean unstuck!
    Never had the Tjet stuck thank you Alexander, but I have helped a couple like you have and did lots of research to minimize the chance of haveing to call you! I tried bringing you rum but I drank half of it and the wife took the keys to the boat. I sure love that woman

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Never had the Tjet stuck thank you Alexander, but I have helped a couple like you have and did lots of research to minimize the chance of haveing to call you! I tried bringing you rum but I drank half of it and the wife took the keys to the boat. I sure love that woman
    Go ahead ahd drink the rest of it, the waters to low for you anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Go ahead ahd drink the rest of it, the waters to low for you anyway!
    Sounds like a challenge... Willing to bet some rum on it?

Sorry, didnt answer back in a timely manner, I havnt been on the internet in five days because I have been out flying our plane. Water is way low now, so I wouldnt take that bet now. See, having your own plane you can still get around without water! I settled for a 40hp flat bottom tiller and a plane. Sell the T-Boat and get a creek boat! Trust me, it's worth it. If you try the west channel I'll flyover and pick up your wife off the sandbar so she dont have to get cold while your getting unstuck! If you cant get unstuck you will have to walk to my house cuz only pretty girls are allowed in the plane!