Thread: anyone catch this story

I'd like to see him get the "book" thrown at him. Ashole.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I'd like to see him get the "book" thrown at him. Ashole.
    X2! The nerve of some people. You would think he was living out in the bush and that bear cub just ate his garden that he needed to get through the winter with. Maybe he should have not left his trash cans outside for the animals to get into? Just an idea and one of the regulations people that live on base have to adhere to just for that reason!

Read that this afternoon at work, what an idiot! Heavy fines and perhaps some jail time is needed for him. Really?? Killing a bear cub for eating some trash, especially when he was the one who left the cans out??

Just a few questions...Is trash your property (courts say no once it's at the curb), how can you be cited for not securing it then? How can you be required to clean it up? If it is your property and you are required to clean it up, then why can't you shoot any nuisance animal that is getting into it and making a mess that you'll have to clean (not saying at all that anybody should, just talking about what they could do in terms of legalities)? If a fox takes a chicken it gets shot, if an 800 lb. bear does, the chicken probably doesn't really care, dead is dead, neither do I, if a 25lb bear cub takes a chicken is that okay to shoot in defense of property/life?

If we're so worried about garbage bears, so much that we have active predator control programs and laws and enforcement to keep them out, how is this in principle different?

I'm not going to stay and argue the point as it's not worth doing, but I will add the post script that I think that what this guy did was really dumb and hot headed. Illegal in several points. Morally I think he shouldn't have shot the bear and absolutely not in the manner he did (delayed, after the fact, through a fence on military property, amidst shouts from neighbors not to... I'm just not sure that I agree that in principle the idea of shooting a bear cub getting into your garbage (secured or not) is wrong. ...I know, I know lure them in with smelly garbage, reward them with access to it and then shoot them. For the record though that's how it was done for a very long time, the situation isn't new, the bears aren't new, the trash isn't, the people aren't really (new developments push back the fringe but they don't always create it, one house in the wilderness has a fringe, a small town does too, and when it grows the fringe just expands outward.) Do we really need bears in town or right near town? Should we coddle them so that stays the case? I don't think the law should decide that question. It's a risk that they have no right to keep in our yard or just beyond it but one we have no right to deprive our neighbors of necessarily either...
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Here is one example of someone that has no 'right' to be hunting or to have a weapon. Do not get me wrong, there is a time and place to defend ones property and family and this was not one of them. From reading the story, there was not a reason to shoot the bear cub and he should have called F&G to let them know that he had a possible problem bear and let them handle it. Bears are always looking for a free/easy meal and it sounds like this person provided just that.
    There other ways that this situation could have been addressed.

Yep, bear would grow up to be a garbage bear, without a doubt. Homeowner was stupid to do it himself, especially on fed property, differet laws there. should have called F&G to do the job and haul the bear off. Caught the problem early, but created a bigger problem in taking care of it himself. Bud
    Wasilla

wow, the level of stupidity of some people amazes me!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

WOW!! about all you can say about that....left his property to pursue and kill the little guys..mental for sure.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Yep, bear would grow up to be a garbage bear, without a doubt. Homeowner was stupid to do it himself, especially on fed property, differet laws there. should have called F&G to do the job and haul the bear off. Caught the problem early, but created a bigger problem in taking care of it himself. Bud
    Re: "Caught the problem early..." I would say the human was the problem, and apparently he wasn't caught early enough!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist