Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Bear/Whale video

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2

    Default Bear/Whale video

    We saw this bear chase all the fishermen (including me) off a hole on the Russian River: http://youtu.be/7Ny3O_EpgJY
    I thought it would be the highlight of our trip until a whale surfaced right next to our kayak in Tutka Bay: http://youtu.be/4J39sXwFizg

    Alaska is awesome! We saw lots of wildlife that didn't make it on youtube and the fishing was fantastic. I hope to go back one day.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
    We saw this bear chase all the fishermen (including me) off a hole on the Russian River: http://youtu.be/7Ny3O_EpgJY
    I thought it would be the highlight of our trip until a whale surfaced right next to our kayak in Tutka Bay: http://youtu.be/4J39sXwFizg

    Alaska is awesome! We saw lots of wildlife that didn't make it on youtube and the fishing was fantastic. I hope to go back one day.
    Unfortunately the bear video is not at all amusing. People die, or at the least get badly injured, that way and bears do too. And the bear will be "blamed" by people for its actions when there are people even still fishing with a bear bluff charging them. That is idiotic. Sorry to "rain on your parade" but it isn't at all funny.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  3. #3
    Member Ak Laker Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks,Ak
    Posts
    337

    Default

    people for get that we are the guest on the river. The bear has the right away.

  4. #4
    Member ArmyFishboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    161

    Default Bear/Whale video

    Not trying to be an ass but if a bear comes in his own territory solemnly the everyone should of just backed away. If he charges you then you have the right to defend yourself. There was no need for anyone to throw rocks at him, if they had just backed away to begin with.

    I myself have encountered many many bears in my years fishing up here or even hunting/hiking. If I am able I've always backed away called F&G and let them know a bears in the area.

    There has been times I've drawn my weapon and shot into the ground or air near the bear because I felt threatened and since there much faster than I am that's what I've had to do. But I'd say 90% of the time I was able to back away as everyone in the video was able too.

    The video is cool as far as the bear goes but the acts by people at the seen is just wrong and inhumane.

    My 3.5 cents worth.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

  5. #5
    Member ArmyFishboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    161

    Default Bear/Whale video

    On the other hand the whale video was amazing. Glad you got to have that opportunity though my ass would of been scared hahah.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

  6. #6
    Member Hans-Linus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Switzerland, far East
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
    I thought it would be the highlight of our trip until a whale surfaced right next to our kayak in Tutka Bay: http://youtu.be/4J39sXwFizg
    Amazing: Did you see the whale inside Tutka Bay or at the mouth (looks like)? I will be there soon

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I love that there are still places in this world where we are not at the top of the food chain. To see this demonstrated before me was thrilling! The people in the video are all strangers to me. I was surprised and concerned that they continued to fish although I probably lingered a bit too long observing. It is amusing to see the fishermen who seemed fearless get a spring in their step when the grizzly got closer. GO BEAR!

    Hans: We were well within Tutka Bay, you need to be dropped off by boat. We were strongly advised to stay away from the mouth as other kaykers had perished there. Safe and calm inside though. Have a great trip! Beautiful trout in your avatar. What kind?

  8. #8
    Member SkinnyRaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
    We saw this bear chase all the fishermen (including me) off a hole on the Russian River: http://youtu.be/7Ny3O_EpgJY
    I thought it would be the highlight of our trip until a whale surfaced right next to our kayak in Tutka Bay: http://youtu.be/4J39sXwFizg

    Alaska is awesome! We saw lots of wildlife that didn't make it on youtube and the fishing was fantastic. I hope to go back one day.
    Thanks for sharing. I have yet to experience the bear encounter, the whales on the other hand are quite common in Seward.

    07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

  9. #9
    Member B&C 04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South for Now
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Unfortunately the bear video is not at all amusing. People die, or at the least get badly injured, that way and bears do too. And the bear will be "blamed" by people for its actions when there are people even still fishing with a bear bluff charging them. That is idiotic. Sorry to "rain on your parade" but it isn't at all funny.
    Agree 100%. Funny how people think that they MUST continue to fish no matter what. If only the bear could chuck a couple bolders at a couple of the guys to get them out of HIS fishing hole....
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

  10. #10
    Member ArmyFishboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    161

    Default Bear/Whale video

    Quote Originally Posted by B&C 04 View Post
    If only the bear could chuck a couple bolders at a couple of the guys to get them out of HIS fishing hole....
    Awesome lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

  11. #11
    Member Hans-Linus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Switzerland, far East
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
    Hans: We were well within Tutka Bay, you need to be dropped off by boat. We were strongly advised to stay away from the mouth as other kaykers had perished there. Safe and calm inside though. Have a great trip! Beautiful trout in your avatar. What kind?
    Hi Dave, for sure I wil stay inside the bay. I will be there for one week, so lot of time to find some wildlife.
    The trout is a cutthroat from a mountain stream in Montana. Dozens of those beauties gathered at the outlet of a lake for spawing. I C&R one on a fly and then we just watch them. Wish I had a underwater camera with me (no I have one), because water was gin clear.

    You can watch the picture much better on my blog (main page slider or gallery) here: http://hansmetzler.me/

    there is also a nice picture (I think) of the release.

    Hans

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •