Thread: Street Photography, an odd concept in Bush Alaska

Default Street Photography, an odd concept in Bush Alaska

Many people misunderstand the concept of "Street Photography", and expect it to be nothing other than pictures on the streets of large urban cities. While Street is a concept for a photograph, and is just as often the photographer's way of working as much as the subject being photographed. Street Photography need not be urban, need not be on a street, and need not even have people in the picture! Street is unplanned, snapshot style, photography of how we live life and interact with our surroundings. Often it is just candid pictures of strangers, but perhaps the best of Street are moments where some odd twist of life is shown.

I personally dislike images that are nothing other than candid snaps of strangers, and particularly true if the strangers will be considered "strange" people by most viewers. That has always been true for me, but particularly in Bush Alaska it is true because these "strangers" often look weird to everyone who lives elsewhere, but they aren't really strangers or all that strange, they are my neighbors! (And we agree that folks elsewhere might be the strange ones!)

Anyway, here is a bit of Street in my style. The first is perhaps the only one that fits pretty much everybody's concept of Street Photography.

(Click on the image to display full screen image and Exif data.)

The second image is a Street crack at urbanites (such as Alaska's Congressional delegation) who think the tundra is desolate.

The little fellow in this image was just too cute. He's hanging around with a group of older kids (several that are not in this image), all of whom seem to be protective of him. They are doing things like some significant jumping, and they make sure he doesn't do anything dangerous for him.

Here's one of the older boys jumping over a little hill.

(Click on image to display full screen size image and Exif data.)

Street shooting at it's best, Floyd. I always enjoy your photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Street shooting at it's best, Floyd. I always enjoy your photography.
    Thanks for the kind words Jim.

I get a kick out of an Alaskan responding in that way! Pointing out that Street Photography doesn't require urban settings on many forums is enough to rile up more than a few people.

The distinction between urban/rural American Street Photography has become increasingly bothersome to me because there are so many tutorials explaining how to do Street that assume only working in urban America. I've seen people lament that they cannot shoot Street because, alas, their location is an urban area with fewer than a million people! Without easy access to New York City or Chicago they don't think they can actually do Street at all! And the techniques they see and hear about are fine in dense urban environments, but are described as universal or even worse as defining Street Photography.

In bush Alaska, and I suspect much of the world outside of the urban areas of industrialized 1st World countries, those techniques are a social disaster akin to the Ugly American!

As an example, I've seen some really interesting videos on YouTube by Joel Meyerowitz. He's an extremely sensitive guy, and probably would not use that technique here. But seeing what he says might cause a lot of people to make some awful social blunders!