Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai moose hunting

Default Kenai moose hunting

Hey, do you guys know any good moose hunting spots near Kenai?

Default Kenai moose hunting

There really isn't any good moose hunting on the Kenai pen. Much more likelihood of success with a registration bear tag.

I've lived on the penn for 9 years. I see a hundred cow moose each year for every bull of any size at all. I do a float hunt far away instead for the last 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jabames View Post
    Hey, do you guys know any good moose hunting spots near Kenai?
    just thought that I would share with you as a new member that you may not realize that a question like that isn't going to get an honest answer. No one is going to give up info like that over the net to someone that they don't know.

On a side note, welcome to the forum
    Semper Fi and God Bless

my answer was honest.

I used to know some really good spots for moose on the Kenai.I too quit hunting there several years ago.

No moose and no kings so I left as well.

dont be fooled they are there,just not as many as in years past for lots of reasons... you have to get out and put your time in and you may be surprised. A lot depends on time of season..if early archery a lot of bigger bulls tend to hang up on higher ground..when the pre rut starts to hit look at the topos for some corridors(sp?) that lead down from high country... If you decide to call be prepared to have more bears answer then moose at times....

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    dont be fooled they are there,just not as many as in years past for lots of reasons... you have to get out and put your time in and you may be surprised. A lot depends on time of season..if early archery a lot of bigger bulls tend to hang up on higher ground..when the pre rut starts to hit look at the topos for some corridors(sp?) that lead down from high country... If you decide to call be prepared to have more bears answer then moose at times....
    I'll never tell.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    No one is going to give up info like that over the net to someone that they don't know.
    Man that's funny! What forum you been reading?

I'll gladly give you the complete and honest answer. There ain't any moose left near Kenai. If you want to hunt moose, you'll have to go somewhere else, preferrably someplace that Anchorage will also have a difficult time getting to. Been hunting here on the Kenai since 1978 and we haven't taken a moose around here in over 15 years. In the 80's we got one every year, and they weren't that hard to find. We have taken a number of them within a couple miles of the house back then. Now, those areas are all Hall "quality" homes and there ain't a big bull moose to be found.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    there ain't a big bull moose to be found.
    Oh really?.........Then what the heck was this:

about a week after the season ended last year...??? Guess maybe you ain't huntin' in the right places anymore...???..........lol

yup no moose at all those calves are all from immaculate conception...not a single leagl bull left near Kenai or on the entire peninsula.....

come on 4mer thats not a moose..just a big dog

(btw I do know that sublegals mate too...saying they dont would be as silly as saying there are NO big moose)

wanna see more Kenai moose ...you can do your part now by shooting Black bear....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    wanna see more Kenai moose ...you can do your part now by shooting Black bear....
    dotn forget the Brown registration hunt either... them ol boys an galls need a thinning there also...THink liberal hunting... sign up 2-3 times, hunt often.. with anyluck it can get over the quota before it caught..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    dotn forget the Brown registration hunt either... them ol boys an galls need a thinning there also...THink liberal hunting... sign up 2-3 times, hunt often.. with anyluck it can get over the quota before it caught..
    LOL pm sent..

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh really?.........Then what the heck was this:

about a week after the season ended last year...??? Guess maybe you ain't huntin' in the right places anymore...???..........lol

I would venture a guess that that moose was not shot due to the 3+ mile hike to get him during the season.
    If my guess is right you would have to pass a locked gate to get to where that guy hangs out.
    Not to say there aren't any big moose left on the Peninsula but the odds are pretty slim.
    I would venture to guess that a person would be much better off with much greater odds of succes in traveling north from the Peninsula or flying somewhere.
    If any of us Peninsula residents had knowledge on a spot with better odds I don't suppose we would give it up before we harvested a moose first making it unlikely that spot was any good anymore anyway.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I would venture a guess that that moose was not shot due to the 3+ mile hike to get him during the season.
    You'd be wrong with that guess my friend.... My son took this pic with his phone as it ran across the highway in front of him driving between Soldotna and Kasilof....

Granted, the moose (bull) population is very sad indeed. But I heard of at least a couple legal bulls killed on the Peninsula last year. And a guy killed one of them where I hunt as well not far from my house. There are still a few around, but I'm still surprised the F&G decided to let us hunt them this season.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yup head north.. .along with the other 200,000 hunters already here or on their way... should be another fun year.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    yup head north.. .along with the other 200,000 hunters already here or on their way... should be another fun year.
    Yep I meet more hunters from Kenai than I do from anywhere else.

Good Gawd. I cannot believe you jack-wagons would not only post on the internet that there are moose on the Kenai, but back it up with a picture!!! What are you thinking?!?

To all the lurkers... they are liars. We ain't got a single legal bull near Kenai. You'd best go to the Koyukuk.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast