Thread: Out House maintenance

Default Out House maintenance

Just built and installed my first out-house. I have it for when my water freezes and the end of the summer and I have to pull my main waste system from lack of running water. I will mostly be used the last two weeks of Sept. Do any of you put ashes from the wood stove in their? I have some lime to use occasionally just wondering if there is any other cool maintenance advise?

Thanks,

George

White ash (and white ash only- not sure why, but I was told this by a very knowledgeable person) keeps the smell down. Also, if it is used a lot, "caustic lye" will melt the "stuff" down... Just be careful that it will give off smoke and who knows what chemicals while the lye is working. Minimizing urine will help keep the smell down as well (if possible).

Ive had my outhouse in place for 5 years, and most people comment on how good it is One reason is that I use blue board insulation as the seat... Very warming when it's chilly

Wood ash works for us

DON'T put toilet paper in the outhouse hole. Have a waste basket for brown t.p. and burn.

Good info, thanks. I have to get the vent pipe plumbed then paint the thing. Keep the suggesting coming.

I love this sight and have for years,

George

Hey George been doing some compost toilet reading myself. The most important thing one that has been said. Keep urine out of it. urine and poop makes sewage. If you cover each time with a layer of saw dust it will not smell and will turn into humanure pretty fast.