Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Bears dont always come to the "dinner bell"

Default Kodiak Bears dont always come to the "dinner bell"

I figured I would post up a quick report of my deer hunt on opening day for those planning on coming to Kodiak to chase deer this year. I got to the top of the mountain I was hunting in the fog and after a quick snack the sun started breaking through so I found a good spot to glass and immediately started seeing small bucks and does. After about two hours of glassing I decided to chase after a younger buck that was with two other forked horns below me about 800ft. I set up on a rock outcropping 135 yards out and was waiting for the bigger one to get up out of his bed when he threw up his head and started looking below. Within a minute an average size brown bear lumbered out and slowly fed on berries while he made his way closer and closer to the deer. I was surprised to see that the deer didnt get up and move as they watched the bear from their bed for 45 minutes as the bear made his way closer and closer to them. During this time I decided that I wasnt going to come all this way and have the bear mess up my stalk so I made a plan. When the bear got to about 60 yards below the deer they began to get nervous and got up to run. I put the cross hairs on the one I wanted and fired a shot. As I lifted my head from the scope I saw the deer drop and the bear with all 4 paws a foot in the air startled. I immediately fired another round into the dirt and started yelling, he tucked tail and took off down the mountain with no issues.

I spent that night in my new Shangri-La 3 tent and am completely sold on the floorless tents. I wish I would have been using one earlier as I've spent alot of uncomfortable nights in ultralight ultra small mountaineering tents that weigh just as much as the Shangri-La system im using now. I left the nest at home and just used the fly and a custom small nest from Bearpaw designs that seemed to work really well together. I found this system through AlaskaLanche's old posts and have to say that it's a great setup.

As far as the deer numbers on the island go, I hunt the same area every August and the numbers I saw are on par with what i've seen in the past. I did notice, however, that there were not very many does with fawns out like I usually see so I'd imagine the fawns might have taken a beating this last winter. I spoke with Andrew Airways to set up a trip with them this November and they spoke about seeing good numbers of deer throughout the island on their flights. It seems like those of you planning trips out here this year for deer
    should be good to go and hopefully have good hunts. Good luck!

deer.jpgtent.jpg

Excellent hunt and thanks for the report. Definitely looking forward to coming down in October/November for a goat/bear/deer combo!

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Excellent hunt and thanks for the report. Definitely looking forward to coming down in October/November for a goat/bear/deer combo!
    Oh man, talk about an adventure! Should be a great time, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I spent that night in my new Shangri-La 3 tent and am completely sold on the floorless tents. I wish I would have been using one earlier as I've spent alot of uncomfortable nights in ultralight ultra small mountaineering tents that weigh just as much as the Shangri-La system im using now. I left the nest at home and just used the fly and a custom small nest from Bearpaw designs that seemed to work really well together. I found this system through AlaskaLanche's old posts and have to say that it's a great setup.
    I guess I'm a bit confused. You say you're sold on "floorless" tents, yet you went ahead and used a different nest with your SL3. If you decided to go with the nest, at a little over 4 pounds for the SL3 + nest, why didn't you just use the nest that comes with the SL3? Is there that much difference in weight between the SL3 nest and Bearpaw?

I just bought a SL3 and I'm undecided about using the nest or not on my upcoming goat hunt.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for the report on deer numbers! I might get a chance to hunt Kodiak in October and was worried about the effect of last winter.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I guess I'm a bit confused. You say you're sold on "floorless" tents, yet you went ahead and used a different nest with your SL3. If you decided to go with the nest, at a little over 4 pounds for the SL3 + nest, why didn't you just use the nest that comes with the SL3? Is there that much difference in weight between the SL3 nest and Bearpaw?

I just bought a SL3 and I'm undecided about using the nest or not on my upcoming goat hunt.....
    I bought a pyranet1 from bearpaw, it is a small nest that is put up in the back part of the tent so when you walk in the first half is floorless. I dont use bivy's and the bugs are usually bad on kodiak so this offer's a small protected nest in the back of the tent while still allowing me to enter with my boots on and hang out in the floorless part. The fly weights 24oz and the bearpaw nest weighs 10oz, using your trekking poles as a center pole puts the tent at 2lbs 2oz. If I were to use the Shangri-La supplied pole it puts the total at 2lbs 14oz. I also bought 8 more stakes and put 4 guy lines on it which adds a few more ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I bought a pyranet1 from bearpaw, it is a small nest that is put up in the back part of the tent so when you walk in the first half is floorless. I dont use bivy's and the bugs are usually bad on kodiak so this offer's a small protected nest in the back of the tent while still allowing me to enter with my boots on and hang out in the floorless part. The fly weights 24oz and the bearpaw nest weighs 10oz, using your trekking poles as a center pole puts the tent at 2lbs 2oz. If I were to use the Shangri-La supplied pole it puts the total at 2lbs 14oz. I also bought 8 more stakes and put 4 guy lines on it which adds a few more ounces.
    Ahhh ok now I see. Makes sense, Thanks.

And to "Troutnut"....you do realize his original post was from back in 2009'......right?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Ahhh ok now I see. Makes sense, Thanks.

And to "Troutnut"....you do realize his original post was from back in 2009'......right?

He posted this up an hour ago...

I am coming to Kodiak on sept 15 for goat & deer will the bugs be bad at that time?
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

He posted this up an hour ago...
    Oooops my mistake.... for some crazy reason I was thinking his join date was when he posted the thread.....

Been a long day.......sorry.

Had me worried there for a moment!
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Troutnut View Post
    Had me worried there for a moment!
    Me too...!!!....lol

BTW "CGS" that's a great shot of your little buck...!!!

I took the same set up into the hills today. I ended up with a nice big forked horn down by two in the afternoon so decided to head back down to the beach. I use an OR Advanced bivy with mine and also use my poles for the center. The bugs were ruthless today and that really spoiled the fun. The buck I got was fat and should be amazing table fare. The rack stayed on the mountain. The way I figured it was more sheep hunt training and making meat. Next week.......DS165.....Tick, tock

Funny thing, durring my stalk I had a super cub buzz the group of bucks I was stalking. While they stared at the plane I was able to bridge an exposed location and move in close enough for a quality shot. I guess it's not just for sheep hunters.

Fish! Great pics and story, nice job once again getting ahead of the game and scoring first you have a natural nack for knocking them dead. You need to show me your tent set up at work so I can see if it's something I want to go with. It looks great and with the light weight might be the ticket around here. TM

WHAT??!?!? they don't come running in??!! i've been lied to!!!! dang it all anyway....what a downer.....

cool pics and good story man, glad to hear you saw some deer there!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Great hunt report! I didn't have any luck with the bears coming running into the dinner bell either, then again I had a tag in my pocket so they might have smelled that?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Great hunt report! I didn't have any luck with the bears coming running into the dinner bell either, then again I had a tag in my pocket so they might have smelled that?

That's not what I want to hear. Maybe I'll spray some scent spray all over my tag...?

That's not what I want to hear. Maybe I'll spray some scent spray all over my tag...?
    It might work better in areas that see more deer hunters? My area didn't see too much human traffic except bear hunters so I am sure their noses were more in tune to detecting bear tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I took the same set up into the hills today. I ended up with a nice big forked horn down by two in the afternoon so decided to head back down to the beach. I use an OR Advanced bivy with mine and also use my poles for the center. The bugs were ruthless today and that really spoiled the fun. The buck I got was fat and should be amazing table fare. The rack stayed on the mountain. The way I figured it was more sheep hunt training and making meat. Next week.......DS165.....Tick, tock

Funny thing, durring my stalk I had a super cub buzz the group of bucks I was stalking. While they stared at the plane I was able to bridge an exposed location and move in close enough for a quality shot. I guess it's not just for sheep hunters.
    Yeah, Craig PM'd me today from Savannah, man I'm jealous of you guys going sheep hunting here soon. Have a great trip and post lots of pics when you get back. Good luck and be safe out there

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    WHAT??!?!? they don't come running in??!! i've been lied to!!!! dang it all anyway....what a downer.....

cool pics and good story man, glad to hear you saw some deer there!!
    Its funny because while I was waiting to see if that bear would move out of the area all I could think of was the clip you posted of your clients deer getting taken by a big brownie. I guess the bears on the road system aren't as brave as the bad boys in your area!! Looking forward to seeing some goat posts from you this year, got any booked on Kodiak? Center Mountain for me in October, counting the days!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast