Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rc566

Default Rc566

I wonder how the circus is going? Anyone have any updates?

I just came from Denali Hwy...greater than average hunter numbers than in the past, but not too bad. Went from Paxson to Tangles and cruised the lakes in a boat.

Saw very few caribou and none after 8am. Made one stalk about 7a and couldn't get closer than 350yds. Didn't want to stretch the barrel that much right out of the gate, season's just starting and the caribou still aren't really in there yet.

Heard no shooting so I'm assuming many folks had the same experience.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I put in for my 1st Teir 1 tag this year not thinking that I don't have a hunting partner, on top of that, this old guy i know asked if I would be willing to proxy one for him... Dilema...1. No hunting Partner, 2. I am unfamiliar or never have gone in by Eureka, I have a wheeler so thats not a issue. 3. If going to the Denali hwy, I would be unable to climb any of those big hills having feet problems, I'd be good for a little hiking ... I have Tues-Thurs off during the week. If anyone out there is up for the challange or out for the thrill of the hunt please send me a PM.... or know of any guides that can help me get the job done. Thanx

Bou less in Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    I put in for my 1st Teir 1 tag this year not thinking that I don't have a hunting partner, on top of that, this old guy i know asked if I would be willing to proxy one for him... Dilema...1. No hunting Partner, 2. I am unfamiliar or never have gone in by Eureka, I have a wheeler so thats not a issue. 3. If going to the Denali hwy, I would be unable to climb any of those big hills having feet problems, I'd be good for a little hiking ... I have Tues-Thurs off during the week. If anyone out there is up for the challange or out for the thrill of the hunt please send me a PM.... or know of any guides that can help me get the job done. Thanx

Bou less in Wasilla
    Reel Bob just bring your wheeler up and start checking out the trails, get on some high ground and start glassing then make a stalk once you find the caribou you want. There is no big secret to the Nelchina herd and there is not one spot that is packed full of them. The best bet is get on the high ground and spend your time glassing instead of running the roads in your truck or the trails on your wheeler. The hills on the Denali are not steep and most of them have atv/track rig/moose buggy trails going all over them so no need to walk or hike unless you really want to get away from people.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Reel Bob just bring your wheeler up and start checking out the trails, get on some high ground and start glassing then make a stalk once you find the caribou you want. There is no big secret to the Nelchina herd and there is not one spot that is packed full of them. The best bet is get on the high ground and spend your time glassing instead of running the roads in your truck or the trails on your wheeler. The hills on the Denali are not steep and most of them have atv/track rig/moose buggy trails going all over them so no need to walk or hike unless you really want to get away from people.
    Thanx for the imput...I guess the biggest thing I'm looking for is someone with knowedge of the areas to go with ...I'd prefer the 2 person hunting therory. Maybe those hills are not steep in your mind, but my fat ass and feet can't do it, I tried

Thanx for the imput...I guess the biggest thing I'm looking for is someone with knowedge of the areas to go with ...I'd prefer the 2 person hunting therory. Maybe those hills are not steep in your mind, but my fat ass and feet can't do it, I tried
    I was trying to say you can drive your wheeler right up those hills so no need to walk except when making your stalk and that is not always required either, though the past couple of years the caribou have been getting a little smarter about what a 4 wheeler means.

The two person hunting theory is a better plan for many reasons and I completely understand wanting to go that route.

And don't worry about not haveing anyone to hunt with, there's 8,000+ gonna be there.

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    And don't worry about not haveing anyone to hunt with, there's 8,000+ gonna be there.
    And these 8,000+ people are going to go through with the planning stages, eat with you, talk with you, help slice & dice each others game, take Pics, be there if you get hurt....Really? go be a comedian on another forum please... I'm trying to put some meat in a couple freezers here

And these 8,000+ people are going to go through with the planning stages, eat with you, talk with you, help slice & dice each others game, take Pics, be there if you get hurt....Really? go be a comedian on another forum please... I'm trying to put some meat in a couple freezers here
    Better grow a little thicker skin if you're posting up for the world to see Bob. But in all seriousness, I appologize for that horrible comment.... That was such a direct slam to you???

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Better grow a little thicker skin if you're posting up for the world to see Bob. But in all seriousness, I appologize for that horrible comment.... That was such a direct slam to you???
    U Just don't get it do you... I'm new at this and I just don't have a hunting Partner, or am I familier with the different areas....You Volunteering your services to help me get some meat? Have you put forth any suggestions that I might effectively use? If you don't have anything constructive to say like Bronco did...you best not let the world see your foolish comments....Thanx

U Just don't get it do you... I'm new at this and I just don't have a hunting Partner, or am I familier with the different areas....You Volunteering your services to help me get some meat? Have you put forth any suggestions that I might effectively use? If you don't have anything constructive to say like Bronco did...you best not let the world see your foolish comments....Thanx

No offense, but you should start a thread specifically asking for help and it would get a lot more exposure than an argument buried in mine. I've got a plan and a buddy to do it with, just curious how everyone else is doing and since I'm stuck on the slope for four more days, figured I'd ask. Good luck finding someone, though, but if you can't, still plan to take a trip up there. They can be seen from the road, sometimes. I'm sure a solo hunt that produced at least one would taste better than tag soup! Good luck and let us know how you do!

Why put in for a tag for an area you don't know? I know of several trails up there where you can drive your wheeler on and have no worries about getting stuck... If I were "you" go up to Denali hwy paxson drive mp 56 I think anyhow moores camp pay Rita's parking fee to access there land you have to go through it to get to the trail and go as far as you want until you feel you gone to far. You will see caribou... For the rest of the crew, Rita is more active this yr and will Be going up almost every weekend to check on her place so pay the fee she asks and don't junk the joint. How I know this let's say she is a family friend.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I know of several trails up there where you can drive your wheeler on and have no worries about getting stuck... If I were "you" go up to Denali hwy paxson drive mp 56 I think anyhow moores camp pay Rita's parking fee to access there land you have to go through it to get to the trail and go as far as you want until you feel you gone to far. You will see caribou... For the rest of the crew, Rita is more active this yr and will Be going up almost every weekend to check on her place so pay the fee she asks and don't junk the joint. How I know this let's say she is a family friend.
    Thanx for the tip. I'm hoping by the time I get there I'll be able to get one close to the road.

By junking the place I mean leaving trash etc.

Seen a guy coming back into town today with a nice set of antlers as i was getting off from work. Gotta say, makes me jelous that i can not be out there right now. Good luck hunting everyone, ill be up there towards the end of the month and hopefully will get lucky.

"323" Ive been up there on Rita's and have to say that is really preety country back there. We went back all the way to river and crossed looking for moose, waste of time, but did see alot of caribou in the area before the river and not alot of hunters. It is an easy trail that someone could do on a solo hunt no problem. Im thinking about going back there this year and looking for some caribou if i dont go on the eureka side.

Thanx for the tip. I'm hoping by the time I get there I'll be able to get one close to the road.
    I personally didnt have a caribou tag last year but my hunting partner did and him and his family all managed to shoot there caribou just off of the road. Could they have been in the right spot at the right time yes, as you always dont get that lucky. But like others have stated caribou can be had from the road sytem there.

Yeah I need to ride those trails one of these days Rita and my wife are good friends and co workers. I need to run up there and see if those beavers are daming up her culvert. She got me a permit to shoot them from now until September 20 with a firearm to boot...

As a new Caribou hunter I apperciate how open you guys are being about this area. Has anyone hunted the "Winter" portion of the timeframe? Talking Nov/Dec. A buddy and I are looking to fill the freezers this year but we can't get hunting before Nov. Thanks!

I just got back from another trip down. Saw a few guys with meat on the pole. Didn't see any caribou at all from Swede Lake all the way to Dickey lake. Trail is in good shape if you watch out for the usual crappy spots. Spent several hours glassing at Dickey...and nothing. Alphabet Hills might be better but who knows.

F&G was out on a wheeler (didn't see him on the trail but saw the wheeler less truck at the parking area) and they had a Super Cub cruising low over the area all day. Saw the plane parked in a pull out on the side of Denali Hwy near Octopus Lake...that was the first time I've seen that. Don't know what the MO for that operation is or what they're looking for...but it's likely a good idea to keep the wheelers on the green trails.

There are some critters in the area but the hunting is still slow and the caribou are scattered and up in the high country to get away from the heat and the bugs- plenty of both this afternoon.

I may give it a rest tomorrow and head back in the end of next week.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I would guess the Super Cub is cruising the CUA to catch people using wheelers. A friend of a friend (you know how that goes) said that the troopers make a killing busting hunters using motorized vehicles in the CUA. Apparently there are a lot of people that 4 wheel in there all summer and then don't realize you can't use them to hunt.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast