Thread: New .300 WM mag grouping

Default New .300 WM mag grouping

I bought a Remington .300 WM SPS SS from Sportsman's Warehouse in May. I bought the combo rifle, and promptly replaced the rings with Ultralight Talley's and a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 scope. I have shot the rifle a few times already using various 180 gr bullets, but can't get it to hold a consistent group 1t 100 yards for anything. I bought the rifle wanting to use the heavier weight bullets in it, but is it possible is just does not like the 180 gr bullets? I've checked and rechecked the rings and scope, and all is snug and good to go. I do plan on replacing the scope with a Leupold as I do not like the eye relief of the Vortex, but the Vortex must do for now. The good news, I only have one weekend to hunt this year, so I will be using my .308 that grouped 3/8" at 100 yards last Friday. Just need some opinions on this problem.

how bad of a group?

If it is changing the point of aim a lot, say over 5 inches it most likely will be the scope and or rings.

I have a XCR II in 300 Win Mag. Wasn't getting groups either. Glass bedded the tang, filed out the two pressure points in the front of the forend and handloaded to .030" of the rifling. Alot better but will still tweak the handloads. Also check the front receiver screw that it isn't binding on the bolt lug. This one was when I tourqued to 50 in/lbs. Too long of screw. I did have pretty good results with 150gr Winchester Power point factory loads but am using 180 Nosler Partitions in handloads. I do like the heavier bullets and am going to try some 210gr Bergers later.

Good luck

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have 5 300's from various manufactures.. they all LOVE the 180 gn.. i shoot the Nosler accubonds and the ballistic tips in 180, i dont use facotry ammo though. my go to runs 1.5 inchish.. with factory and .25-.30" groups at 100 wiht my hand loads.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

"maybe" had you listened to a good cross section of shooters rather than the "idiots" behind the counter you would have gone home with a Browning, Tikka, Savage, Sako or any other of a number of "hunters' rifles" that will shoot what you feed them to satisfaction - 180's are NOT "heavy for caliber" in a .300 win mag, they are what it thrives on ..... I've never, after working with no less than 20 300 win mags, had one not "shoot" and do it without much effort, it's one of the premier hunting rounds in existence for long range work - Now find a good gunsmith and have it bedded properly AFTER you have him check for adequate rifling (YES, that happens with Remingtons), correct trigger adjustment AND proper alignment of the scope base holes in the receiver (THAT ALSO happens with Remingtons) OR get yourself a Kimber Montana 300 win mag and go hunting ..........

Some rifles shoot right out of the box and some don't. A very few never do. All yours needs is a trip to a competent gunsmith unless you feel you can do the work yourself.

Bedding the action, free floating the barrel, and adjusting the trigger should resolve your problems. Probably the worst you are looking at is having to replace the trigger with a Timney or something like that. Some of those newer Remington triggers just are not worth fooling with.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I bought a Remington Sendero in 300 WM, when they were a special run from Davidsons only 500 made. Got in the shop and mounted a 4x12 Burris and got 2 boxes of Reminton 180 grns to sight in.
    The first 5 shots at 50 yards were a 4 1/2" group ! I cleaned the bore and let it cool, then fired 5 more rounds with a 3" group. Letting the barrel cool and cleaning I fired another group, this one was just over 2 1/2". The last 5 rounds in the box were still at 2 1/2". I went back to the shop to open, it was a Saturday our busyist day of the week. The next day I went back to the range and fired a 5 shot group into just under 2".The groups steadily decreased in size and 5 rounds went into one ragged hole on the 10th firing. They also went into one ragged hole at 200 yards the same day, just as I used up my 3 rd box of ammo. It now will consistently shoot under an inch at 200 yards. I didn't do anything to the rifle except mount a scope and give the barrel some time to break-in.
    Yours could be the same !! Good Luck !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thanks for the information. I have several other Remington rifles, and no issues with them. I have pulled the stock, and sanded down some of the rough spots in hopes that could be the problem. Running my finger down the barrel channel of the stock, there were a couple of rough spots from the molding of the stock. I will try this, and if that doesn't work, I will bed it then.