Thread: open water jet boat handling

Default open water jet boat handling

so i had my 22ft weldcraft semi vee with 3 stage hamilton jet out on the inlet the other day, under full power and cruising at about 30kt, i noticed that the boat seemed to wander back and forth, front end pointed straight but the back wagged back and forth. anybody know a way to clean this up so it doesn't do that or so its not so bad? i figure its because there is no keel so nothing to keep the boat on line. thanks

Try it with a sea quartering in from behind you! As the song goes, "Slip sliiiiding awaaaaay....."

Dunno how to fix it on your boat, but it's pretty standard.

Mine does the same thing but not bad enough to be bothersome. If I'm at cruse 34 mph at 3200 rpm it wonders alittle bit. If pour the coals to her 3800 at 42 mph it clears up. I'm just guessing but mine has a 14 degree dead rise which helps out quite a bit in the lakes and ocean. If you have a 12 degree it might slip a little more
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Deal with it or add a keel to your boat. Jetboats are great on rivers but only do so so in the deep stuff.

Mine has never done it. I do load the boat with more weight towards the back to keep the bow up more.