Thread: Dipping Herring

Default Dipping Herring

Saw the below report on Alaska Outdoor Journal's reports http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...lerreport.html.

Can you dip Herring from shore, if so does anyone have a location which might be productive? I've love to give it a try.

Thanks

ANGLER: Brian from Seward
    TRIP DATE: 4/13
    REGION: Kenai Peninsula
    WATER: Resurrection Bay
    SPECIES: HERRING

REPORT: There are lots of Herring in Resurrection Bay now. I used my trusty Holigan net to catch a bucketfull just wading at low tide. They are delicious rolled in flour, cornmeal and seasonings then pan fried. It's a welcome rite of passage to bring in the fishing season!

[AOJ: Wow, dipping herring from shore! That sounds like a great way to load up on fishing bait for the summer too! I might have to get over there and give it a try. ]

Default Herring

Thanks for sharing that. Sounds like it could be a fun trip this for this weekend. I've never tried pan frying them, but I do like canning pickled herring. Better yet, I prefer herring eggs on hemlock branches the best. That's a Southeast delicacy. Although roe on kelp is good, as well. Just received from some fresh eggs from a friend in Metlakatla.

Is it legal to dip herring, when I read the regulations I don't think you can.

yup, they are under the same regs as hooligan I believe. Also you are allowed to use 15 hooks which might be fun on a fly rod or something
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default 15 hooks

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    yup, they are under the same regs as hooligan I believe. Also you are allowed to use 15 hooks which might be fun on a fly rod or something
    15 hooks. They should allow that on the Russian. Now that would increase the "combat" factor.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.