Thread: Over the boot hip waders

Default Over the boot hip waders

A few months ago I picked up 4 sets of these:

They ran $6.95 each. I'm going to try them as over the boot waders for stream crossing next month. Since the $54 Wiggy's lasted about 3 crossings before they started leaking I figure if I get 2 crossings out of these I'm ahead of the game.

Let us know how they work. I got about 2 1/2 crossing out of the Wiggys before they leaked on me too.

What about the fancy Neos?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    A few months ago I picked up 4 sets of these:
    They ran $6.95 each. I'm going to try them as over the boot waders for stream crossing next month. Since the $54 Wiggy's lasted about 3 crossings before they started leaking I figure if I get 2 crossings out of these I'm ahead of the game.
    If you don't mind....where did you get these for $6.95 each...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I bought them long enough ago that I don't remember. I can't find them for that price now.

what brand are they?

Chris

Funny thing about the Wiggys. I have a set which has seen service for 4 consecutive years, and many...many....river crossings. My 2011 bull died in a shallow slough. I spent 6 hours in knee-deep bloody-muddy water while butchering. When I pulled them off, my boots were dry and no water in the waders. Have they ever leaked? Yes, and I did a simple quick repair with Simms Seam Sealer. Every year I check them before going hunting and seal any abraded or suspect areas. Even if they leak while hunting, it's never more than a couple ounces of water in the bottom...for me anyway. I dump it and bag the Wiggys...keep on hunting. My boots and pants are dry and warm. They're not perfect. I haven't found anything better that is lightweight, functional, fast and works dependably. I'm personally surprised that someone hasn't grabbed the Wiggy's idea and created a sort of 'Super Wader' made out of tougher nylon with stronger sole and seams. Something which bridges the gap between the UL Wiggys and the much-too-heavy for me Neos Trekkers.

They were made by Sterns.

[QUOTE=K Dill;1157799 Something which bridges the gap between the UL Wiggys and the much-too-heavy for me Neos Trekkers.[/QUOTE]

You really think they are to heavy at 2 lbs? I don't think you could do anything more than wiggys and keep it under that weight.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Do you know where to buy these? I cannot find them on the sterns web site.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    You really think they are to heavy at 2 lbs? I don't think you could do anything more than wiggys and keep it under that weight.
    I probably should have specified the NEOS River Trekker which is actually the wading equivalent of the Wiggy's, at 36" tall. The NEOS webpage gives their average weight at 5.0 pounds. For the ways and methods we employ, that's definitely too heavy.

http://www.overshoesonline.com/rtk8/...pper-Brown.htm

Quote Originally Posted by fishingdiago View Post
    Do you know where to buy these? I cannot find them on the sterns web site.

Jim
    He said he bought them "so long ago", so if they weren't a big seller there's a good chance they don't make them anymore.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Here's the package.