Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cow Moose hunting tips?

Default Cow Moose hunting tips?

I drew a cow tag that starts next week I know it should be a spot/stalk especially where is it and SHOULD be a pretty simple hunt but like any hunting nothing is guarenteed. SO are there and tips for getting a cow to come in should I not see something in the first few days? I have always heard that the cows come to the bulls and not the other way around but with it being so early in the season I dont know if they would come in to any calls. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Wish I had some tricks for you but I normally just use spot and stalk with cows. Good luck!

I have had cows respond to cow calls several times.

I was cow calling one time and the **** Keebler elves popped out of now where man.

I have had cows come to a bull/cow call when I was calling for a bull. Early in the season I think it more a curiosity on the cow part, wondering who in the area.

Cow moose do go to areas where bulls are in early September. To say that bulls do not come to a cow is a haft true because bulls will go to a cow. One of the better bull calls is a cow call, done correctly a bull will come running, looking for a cow.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I was cow calling one time and the **** Keebler elves popped out of now where man.
    What does a cow elf look like?
    "Your papers are not in order"

Quote Originally Posted by sigabrt View Post
    What does a cow elf look like?
    Just like on tv running around with cookies and all

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Must have been some pretty potent herbal 'medicine' you had at the time

Cow moose tactics/calling? funny stuff How bout "Mooooo"

I've shot 2 cow moose on 2 cow moose tags for the Fairbanks road system (I'm assuming you have one for the Fairbanks road system) mostly I drove around (with a buddy driving) saw a moose, stopped, stepped of the traveled road way, and then collected dinner.

you will find that there are much more moose out in the morning and evening. what tag did you draw?

Bonanza creek aug 15-sep 1 like I said it SHOULD be an easy hunt but nothing is ever guarenteed, thanks for those who gave some insite for the others have fun on another de-railed thread!

To the original poster. Pack your favorite snacks and alcohol free drinks, have a good set of bino's and ride, ride, ride your ATV or Vehicle. Its just a matter of time. It could take 30 minutes or 3 days, but sooner or later, you will find one. The only thing I would make sure of is don't drop it in water and make sure you can drive to it. Nothing better than a Cadilac Style Moose Meat Hunt!

I'd just drive around till you see a bunch of tourists pulled over taking a picture of something.

Hey BSJ425,

I live across the hyway from that unit up on the Old Nennana Hyway.
    Anyways we go down in there a Bunch for firewood & such.

PLENTY of Cow moose.
    It is pretty thick but we always see atleast one cow just driving the roads.
    The cows in there are a little spooky from all the traffic but you should find one with no problem.

My wife has the same area cow permit but we are going to wait till later in the year to go after a cow. Hopefully find a couple of young dumb bulls instead.

RJ Simington
    541 281 7201my Cell #

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I'd just drive around till you see a bunch of tourists pulled over taking a picture of something.
    I know the area very well luckily there is no water around to drop one in it is mostly hardwoods with some tundra/ flats lots of bears in the area which will be a little unerving when it comes butcher time solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    I know the area very well luckily there is no water around to drop one in it is mostly hardwoods with some tundra/ flats lots of bears in the area which will be a little unerving when it comes butcher time solo.
    I was trying to be a little funny

Last year I was hunting with a coworker looking to fill his cow tag, and stumbled on a legal bull for me, go figure. I seriously think everyone else here has it right... Cover enough ground, and you'll come across one.

Solo butchering? Sheesh, better you than me

A legal cow is one with out a calf. Likely she will be getting bred this fall. That means she needs to put on fat for the winter and pregnancy.
    Are the places in the tag area that are good moose feed areas? Maybe area bios have info on what cows would be looking for in feed and where those places might be.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yep we can also shoot calves as well this year there. I bear bait in that area and the bears were very abundant this year I think they had a strong impact on calf survival throughout the summer as I am down there every 2 weeks or so and have seen lots of cows without calves there this year should be fun.

Don't rule out good bull grunts either. Went for a walkabout this am with my bow and I had a cow grunting back at me. Luckily I had great vis to see there were no antlers before having to leave for work.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    get in a bind gimme a call i have plenty of free time this month... still got my number?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast