Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Kodiak Trip

Default My Kodiak Trip

Well, things have settled down a little and I thought that I would share a little bit of our trip to Kodiak. This was my first trip to the emerald isle and I wasn't disappointed. Mike had suggested it a year ago and I jumped at the idea. We took the morning flight on the 24th of july from anchorage to Kodiak which was uneventful. I was slightly disappointed at the low cloud base which really limited my view of our upcoming adventure. We had reservations for a rental with avis using a corporate membership and got a good discount.

Staying at the Russian Heritage Inn was convenient and the cheapest available at 90.. a night. The staff there were very friendly and helpful throughout our trip. The only thing is that it is older and has thin walls so I might suggest staying on the end and the second floor to help with noise. They even had freezer space for guests.

Our first 3 days were spent with Ultimate Island Adventure owned and operated by Shawn Gornall and his wife. They are a smaller operation and offer a very personal experience. They went was above and beyond to ensure that we had a good time and boy did we. Our first day we limited out without any problems throwing many back. We caught halibut, salmon, lingcod, cod and rock fish.

75lbs on the halibut
    At the end of the day we pulled up to Kodiak Smoking and off loaded our bounty. Man way a long day and I was whooped!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

On the second day we headed out early with high hopes. Our second day wasn't quit as good but still very productive

THe weather was wonderful and sea were very cooperative. I did catch a unique inhabitant of the local waters and Shawn estimated that it was in the 20 lbs class

Last edited by Icebear; 08-10-2012 at 19:34. Reason: Forum member requested a pic be deleted.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Our third day we did an ATV adventure. I will say that Bernard Rosenberg had helped me out with some great info and had told me that one of the must do's was the ATV trip. He was 100% correct and it was one of the biggest highlights of the trip.

Shawn has the Can-ams side by sides and they were a blast! All of his gear is in great condition and well maintained. The day threatened of rain and we headed off to Saltry cove. The trip took about a hour and a half and the beauty was incredible! I will say that I didn't get tired and my back wasn't hurting when we arrived at our destination.

We had just a light drizzle and the fish were all over the place and in short order we had our limit. I will say that the rookie out fished the old dog and limited first. We caught plenty of reds and the pinks were there in force as well.

We only say one small bear during the trip and he was more interested in keeping his distance and looking for target of opportunity than anything.

Semper Fi and God Bless

Nice pics! Sounds like a winner of a trip. Kodiak is on my list...but I keep ending up on Prince of Wales Island (13 years of trips to AK). Going back early next month for silvers and a late trip on the salt for halibut.

The forth day was spent exploring the island. We did a little road side fish and caught a few dollies and pinks. WE saw some kings in the river but had forgotten our eggs back at the hotel

Even though we didn't do as well fishing it was breath taking and so beautiful! That evening we had a gracious invitation to dine with Bernard. I will say that he is one heck a cook and host. Bernard, I can't thank you enough for the evening! The dining and conversation was stimulating to say the least!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Wow, that's looks like one heck of a trip. Thanks for sharing. I am yet to visit Kodiak, but plan on it soon.

Our last day was spent with a member of the coast guard and this forum Abel. Abel is a fine skipper and knows the waters well. He does a lot of work with the wounded warriors and is to be commended on this efforts.

Abel had a friend along with us and we all caught plenty of Rock Fish and lingcod. The halibut really weren't cooperating but the weather agin was better than we could have asked for. We did loose one good size king as well.

Yes, we are cheating a little and holding up one of Abel's Lings.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

We were able to use the cleaning station at the coast guard facility and the packing station. Man what a set up!

I will also say that Abel is one accomplished fish skinner going through the rocks with great ease. Abel, THANKS ever so much for a wonderful time!

Kodiak Smoking was nice enough to freeze some of the fish that we processed ourselves. The last evening we used the hotels for the trip with abel. The following morning we caught our plane back to Anchorage with about 250 lbs of processed fish.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Awesome job I envy you lol. If you don't mind me asking how much was the plane ticket and charter? I am curious for myself. $90 for a hotel out there sounds pretty reasonable.

Id love to take my wife out there. Thanks.

Glad you had a great time I know I would of!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

After getting back Mikes nephews came into town and we spent a couple of days down on the Kenai fishing for some more Reds. I won't go into a lot of details and allow Mike to share that part of the story but it was a great time!

I just want to extend a thanks to all the members here that helped with info and support for this alaskan adventure. The good Lord continues to bless me with adventures that are extraordinary and deeply rewarding. Looking at the beauty of alaska reminds me that this world is no accident!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyFishboy View Post
    Awesome job I envy you lol. If you don't mind me asking how much was the plane ticket and charter? I am curious for myself. $90 for a hotel out there sounds pretty reasonable.

Id love to take my wife out there. Thanks.

Glad you had a great time I know I would of!!

I used point to get to alaska but the charter was 300 per day and 250 for the tav if I remember right but you can check with Shawn at ultimateislandadventures.com 907-539-1376
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Tom,

Sounds like a great trip and you have the pictures to prove it. We were there the same week as you. Sorry we missed the chance to get together. This was my fourth tirp over but first for this time of year. You find out why they call it the Emerald Isle if you visit during the summer.

Randy

Nice job! Looks like it was a blast!

Thanks for the info. Glad you had a great time.

Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

Good stuff glad you enjoyed Kodiak. We went last summer and actually hooked up with John as well. He is a great guy and among other things saved part of our trip by giving me a call when he saw some road-side bears and we were able to take the parents over to see them which ended up being their only bears of their two week visit. Glad you had a great time and God Bless.

Had a blast fishing with you guys, anytime you come back just give me a call.

Cool Thread Here T,

can't believe how close you guys were, that we didn't run into you, somehow
    (in your very first pic, on the left side, at the end of the dock,... the white bow of my boat, the Norseman is just visible)
    in other words,.... I walk right by all day long, everyday)

The guys you were fishing with seem to be Pretty Fishy guys,...glad you had a great time,...with some Kodiakers

and weather like that,....Nice,....
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

My oh My, what a wonderfull writeup and pictures. I've hunted Kodiak every late october for 25 years but never visited in the summer. gosh, you made me envious. Glad Alaska stays in your blood. my blood boiled back in 1975 and I still get exited every morning upon wakeup. God Bless you with many more trips.

They were great guests, left messages in my guestbook, and enjoyed themselves. That's how great trips are supposed to work out.

As advice to anyone who has not made it here, consider it. The island is downright remarkable with a small town flavor. Give yourselves seven full days due to the weather element.

I moved here in May to enjoy the best of six months and then I'll do the other six back down in Florida. One thing I can assure anyone now that I've been here is the weather; it is absolutely alive...

Rosenberg; Kodiak AK / Sarasota, FL
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

What an awesome trip. I am talking with my wife and we are looking into going next year. Thank you very much sharing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast