Thread: Finaly got the "skunk" off & got the 1st fish!

Default Finaly got the "skunk" off & got the 1st fish!

OK, I know that most of you guys catch dozens of fish every trip, but I just started fly fishing last year.
    Today was my fourth trip to Quartz Creek (that's where all my attempts so far have been except for an hour of ice chipping last Feb at the bridge in CL)). Each trip before this has just been for an hour or so & never when the fishing was "hot".
    Today, I was there for about 3 hrs. Lots of reds, & most folks that know what they are doing were picking up dollies pretty regular. I managed to floss 5 reds & give them my gear, & then at about the two hour mark, it happened. The 1st Dolly!!!! About 18", & a ton of fun!
    It may seem lame to some of you, but at 52 & just starting fly fishing it's a biggie to me!
    I moved up here 25 yrs ago & got so into hunting that I didn't worry about fishing other than dipping to fill the freezer.
    2 yrs ago I decided I needed a sport where I could just relax. I grew up trout fishing in south centeral Oregon (mostly bait but some dry flies) & really missed it, so I wanted to get into fly fishing (and tying). You can have the salmon, I'll take the rainbows, dollies, & grayling on the fly!

By the way, I wanted to share this here because you guys have done a great job of freely sharing the information that helped me get that 1st fish. Thanks!!!!!

(By the way, I got this one on an 8mm natural roe bead from Troutbeads)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Congrats on the fish, looks like you might just (re)catch the addiction!

Congrats! With each trip under your belt your skills will improve and more fish will be caught. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys.
    It's nice to have guys that understand. I got as much excitement out of catching this dolly as killing my 1st moose!
    My wife jokingly said "Now you're an expert!". I said "more like the blind squirrel that found a nut". It is a confidence booster though & as you said nook, each trip fro here on out will help me put it all together. Next is flesh...
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

When you catch your one on flesh then you can say you have hooked a fish on a fly. Plastic bead isn't a fly.
    Just FYI as there is places until late Aug that its fly only and the bead doesn't count without some fur/feathers and thread.
    Keep your line tight. O and I would keep fishing the bead for a good while yet. Enjoy your new found fun!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

No one else said it, so I will...show us the pics, or it didn't happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    No one else said it, so I will...show us the pics, or it didn't happen!
    Quite frankly, since I was alone the only pic I have shows the fish laying on the grassy bank. He was only here about 10 sec for the pic, but I don't want to get in trouble with the C&R police for "poor" fish handeling. Hands were wetted 1st & fish was handled gentley :-)
    Vance in AK.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Quite frankly, since I was alone the only pic I have shows the fish laying on the grassy bank. He was only here about 10 sec for the pic, but I don't want to get in trouble with the C&R police for "poor" fish handeling. Hands were wetted 1st & fish was handled gentley :-)
    Fair enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I don't want to get in trouble with the C&R police for "poor" fish handeling
    That's right cause we are watching! LMAO just kidding, congratulations on your first success with a fly rod.

atta boy...

Congrats Vance!

Congrats Vance! Quartz creek is one of my favorite creeks to fish. I remember the 1st time I had success on that creek and have been hooked on it since. It killed me to have to drive by it yesterday with a fussy 3yr. old and a wife that wanted to get home but I knew that asking to stop for a couple hours was out

Thanks guys!

Good to hear from you Stan. hows your summer going?
    TOMCOD, I feel your pain. I have to run up to the big city tomorrow to get my folks at the airport. Won't be able to make time for fishing either direction... Painful indeed.
    Vance in AK.

Hey Vance,

Summers been great, but I've spent all my time north. I might go south in September though!