Thread: Cook inlet halibut for small boat

Default Cook inlet halibut for small boat

Does anyone have a good chicken hole around Deep Creek for a small boat they would be willing to share? I heard several stories about Mussel flats but I can't find any reference on charts.

Anywhere along the coast of Deep Creek and Anchor River will produce fish. Catch a couple, mark it, and keep drifting that line. I personally never fish more than 500 yrds from shore when in the area....lots of good fish are shallow this time of year. Look for any edge where the depth changes and fish it.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Biggest halibut ever caught was off the mouth of Deep Creek in 50ft of water late in August.. Halibut gather around the mouths of the rivers to feed on the spawning salmon that are washing out.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    Does anyone have a good chicken hole around Deep Creek for a small boat they would be willing to share? I heard several stories about Mussel flats but I can't find any reference on charts.
    Yeah, I've caught some really nice halibut no more than about 1/4 mile of shore north of Anchor River off of Whiskey Gulch. As JR2 said, keep an eye on areas off of streams where salmon will be washing out of. Those big butt love to go in and slurp 'em up.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I surf cast about 4 miles from deep creek campground towards homers direction. I catch halibut from shore there all the time.

New favorite is kasilof to surf cast though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

Good info! THANKS, I want to put my GoPro camera down and film the action.

If you check out muttleycrews website he has some pretty awesome underwater video of some suspicious camera loving salmon. I think salmon thought the hardware was bait.

Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

Those are great video's!

Default Cook inlet halibut for small boat

Thought you would enjoy them. Coho Dave needs to go get more I enjoy watching them.

Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

Those are great video's!
    Thanks. Just got a new "pancake" downrigger weight and hope to get my camera back in action in the next few days. More to come!!!

Would I be better off launching from deep creek, anchor pont or homer? I have launched at deep creek several times but it seems like I always head towards Anchor point or just past happy valley

Here's a few from a really small vessel on Sunday. 65 ft of water about a half mile offshore from Whiskey Gulch. Two other kayakers limited on chickens the same day.

Would I be better off launching from deep creek, anchor pont or homer? I have launched at deep creek several times but it seems like I always head towards Anchor point or just past happy valley
    I would launch at Anchor if you can and if you are able, even better would be launching off the Whiskey Gulch beach if you can. Don't know what kind of boat you have, because it can be pretty tricky launching there.

And,Rudy, you ROCK! Love the video.

I have a 18' Klamath with a Honda 50

I have a 18' Klamath with a Honda 50
    If you decide on Whisky Gulch have a backup plan for getting your truck and trailer back over the gravel berm. I haven't been down there in quite a while but I remember the berm being worse some years than others.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Yea, I'm thinking Anchor point. From charts it looks like there is a depression just off of cape staricchkof

Yea, I'm thinking Anchor point. From charts it looks like there is a depression just off of cape staricchkof
    Use the tractor launch if you can, that will give you more time on the water. Launching from the river can be tricky on your return, you have to judge your return time to assure there is enough water in the river and navigating the breakers at the mouth can be a pain as well as dangerous. Back in the day before GPS we ran out towards Mt. Illiamna untill we could see the mountains above the bluff behind us, or south to the green cabin and out to 70'. If you go south watch for the huge boulders in close. Watch the weather and have fun.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM