Thread: salmon help

Default salmon help

will somebody educate me on the taste of salmon...i understand there are differences in taste of salmon but don't know in what order...just ate some silvers and they were good...whats the order of preference...

thanks

Sockeye for the win.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Sockeye is the best. Dog & Pinks are generally considered the poorest (though still good when fresh and prepared properly). Kings and Silvers are in the middle, though some folks put king ahead of sockeye. The short answer is... they are ALL good!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I like Kings and Sockeyes the best overall, but honestly there are so many ways to smoke and cook any of them to make them taste great. For example, I think Chums rate pretty high up there smoked and ocean bright Pinks are excellent.

Now Sockeye bellies, son of a *****. Sockeye bellies in camp with beer.

Mmmmmmm baby.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

king salmon cheeks 2nd silvers

This is clearly a matter of personal preference as each of the salmon species has its own taste and texture and none of them are 'off' or foul tasting if handled properly. Also, I believe that each species (of the big three) might shine over the other depending on preparation.

(I would probably prefer chinook over the rest but we don't have access to it very often) For me personally, coho is pretty hard to beat as I like both the texture and the flavor as is, and it seems to take marinades and seasoning well. It is a very versatile fish that seems to come out great whether grilled, roasted, poached or smoked. I like sockeye too but I feel like they are very easy to overcook and when overcooked they can be a little dry and hard. Also, sockeye don't seem to take marinades and seasoning as well as coho. Supposedly sockeye have the higher fat content but to me it seems like chinook are the oiliest followed by coho with sockeye being the driest of the bunch? I don't know why that is but when I cook them, sockeye seem to be the most finicky which would seem to indicate a lack of oil in the flesh.

Sockeye are probably the most 'salmony' tasting of the bunch and in my humble opinion salmon in general is a much stronger tasting fish than any of the popular white fleshed fish. In summary (in my opinion) if you like your fish softer, juicier and more mild tasting you would probably prefer chinook or fresh coho. If you prefer a firmer flesh with a stronger salmon taste you would probably prefer sockeye.

id say the preference would also change where they were caught from. fresh yukon king gets the nod for me
    hook, line, sinker, done.

After eating reds for sometime, I always love sitting down to the delicate tasting cohoe. To me and my wife, fresh king is hard to beat though. I know that after living in AK for almost 30 years, I've ran into quite a few native Alaskans that prefer silvers....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!