Thread: Upper Kenai Sockeye

Default Upper Kenai Sockeye

Has anyone fished the upper Kenai for Sockeye? Is it worth a trip

Default Upper Kenai Sockeye

If you can find them between all the tomatoes, yes.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I fished it last weekend and there were about 1 in a hundred that looled like the one above. Lots of "Chirstmas" Fish. Big, Red, and Green on the head!
    I went to the Sterling area yesterday and found the water had dropped almost 2 feet in the last 2-3 weeks and had become very clear. You could see the bottom very clearly for 30 yards out. We sat on my Buddies dock for 5 hours and never saw a single fish swim by other than the one whitefish and one very old red that really don't count. Very dissapointing trip. Beautiful day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    We sat on my Buddies dock for 5 hours and never saw a single fish swim by other than the one whitefish and one very old red that really don't count. Very dissapointing trip. Beautiful day though.
    I don't get it...what were you expecting to see? The bulk of the red run has been over for awhile. Only 11k reds came in on Friday. As you saw they are way up river. The only thing you may "see"? now should be silvers, and they are just now starting to come in, in any fishable numbers........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Fished upper Kenai and Russian Friday and Saturday, and we hooked into a bunch of spawned out reds but nothing spectacular. kept 2 chromers that were about 7 lbs or less and the meat was still a little on the soft side. Looks like its all but over for reds this season...

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I don't get it...what were you expecting to see? The bulk of the red run has been over for awhile. Only 11k reds came in on Friday. As you saw they are way up river. The only thing you may "see"? now should be silvers, and they are just now starting to come in, in any fishable numbers........
    We were expecting to see a beautiful day and a few fish, maybe some old reds, maybe some fresh silvers, mayvbe some pinks starting to come in as we have this time of year for decades from this exact spot. We were just suprised to see NOTHING moving either way with the water that low and clear.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

We fished the sanctuary on Saturday and Sunday. Certainly there are a lot of tomatoes around, but there are definitely some chromers around still. The sunny weather and low water made is very easy to pick them out amongst their bright red bretheren. Caught and released one silver as well.

On a side note, I've seen more kings in the Russian than I've seen in past years.

I floated the upper saturday...I was surprised by the amount of chromers I saw....It was better than the week before....There is also some silvers making their way up for sure
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I fished the santuary Friday and Saturday and although there were tons of spawned out reds, I had no problem finding "chromers". It was just tough to get the fly to them sometimes. Had a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    We were expecting to see a beautiful day and a few fish, maybe some old reds, maybe some fresh silvers, mayvbe some pinks starting to come in as we have this time of year for decades from this exact spot. We were just suprised to see NOTHING moving either way with the water that low and clear.
    Well if you've seen fish from this spot for decades then I can certainly understand what you mean.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Now the question is, when will they start to drop so we can get this party started!
    Piscor Ergo Sum