Thread: PWS Deer Hunt

Default PWS Deer Hunt

Just curious if anyone has been out deer hunting yet? I am contemplating a trip out tomorrow for a couple days and wondering if anyone has been out. I'm guessing the numbers will be way down due to last winters heavy snow fall but have the itch to get out. Normally wait until after October 1st but my 13 year old son and will probably give it a shot. Anyone else heading out for the weekend?

I talked to the Cordova wildlife trooper not too long ago and he said the deer did pretty well out there. If you do go, I'd hunt the tips of the islands. I've hunted it a few times and always found then at the very top this early in the season. Good luck.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thanks, that's good to hear. That is our plan, to hunt the high elevation. Hopefully will be posting pics on our return.

The numbers are down, but there are still deer. You may have to work a little harder to find them. I'm heading out late Sept.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I agree twodux but were booked for last two weeks in November. Got a new 11 foot zodiac and new 15 horse Yamaha.
    Going have to work for them but I believe the big bucks made it thur.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Generally it's the fawns and the old deer that get knocked down first, then the older bucks that fought all their fat off in the rut. The does generally survive the best.

But there are always exceptions to the rule.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I will be out there, with a rifle if I happen to see something but not really hunting. Please let us know how you did.

Good luck golfnut. Keep us posted on how you do.

Well, we are back and no success stories or pictures to post. My son and I planned on spending one day hunting and one fishing, but our plans changed. We went to Naked Island, an island I have hunted 7 or 8 times. I have never come back without at least one deer, but I have always gone in October when it is open to any deer, not just bucks. We only spent a couple hours hunting on Saturday, didn't see much deer sign, but we didn't make it to the top and can't say that we gave it much effort. It was more an excuse just to get out and enjoy the outdoors. We decided we would rather fish than hunt, so that's what we did. The fishing wasn't stellar, but we did manage to catch a few halibut. Overall, a great father and son weekend. The weather was great as well, didn't have to break out the rain gear at all.