Thread: Got my new pistol!

Default Got my new pistol!

Finally got a pistol. I've never owned one until last week, but got tired of packing a rifle everywhere. Picked up the Taurus Judge in the featherweight model that takes the 2-1/2" .410 and the .45 Colt. What a cool gun! Put a few rounds though it and I think I found a new best friend! Even had my son, who is 9, shoot it. He did great with the .45, but with the .410 shot with a slug, it kicked back a lot more. He didn't like that, but was sure good with the .45. I'm assuming the bird shot will have less kick back for him?

I think I'm going to use it for moose hunting! heh heh.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Claude, I have that firearm in 3" Stainless, as my "Survival" Firearm.

Right on! That's a super fun gun and if I owned one again I would definitely get the 2.5" featherweight.

You should be able to find some cowboyaction .45 colt loads that will be a poosycat to shoot for the youngster. Just try some out and see what works best.

The .410 rounds will be a bit lighter but they are about par with a light .45 colt load. Recoil is certainly the tradeoff for a lightweight gun.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...nd-bears/page2
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Ah, good call. I got it from Northern Guns in Wasilla, with the custom holster made by someone in Wasilla.

I'm sure going to enjoy it while I'm putting my 7000 miles on my snow machine this winter.. got tired of fighting keep a rifle on the machine, and then having it froze up when I needed it. Super light weight for sure.

I see I posted at the same time you did Tailwind. I was concerned about it being in the featheweight, but after shooting it I was surprised how low the recoil was for me. I was really surprised when I asked Bob if he wanted to shoot it he was like 'YES!'. I hadn't thought of lighter loads for the .45, but I really like that idea for him. I'm going to pick some up and try them out.

THanks for the info!
    Claude

Wild west was making barrel extensions that screw on to a judge barrel that has been threaded. I don't recall what the cost was but there was some photos floating atound the site of targets showing the pattern at different distances with and without the extension in place.

What kind of accuracy are you guys getting with the judge, I had one and sold it cause It was shooting all over the place, But that was when they first came out, hopefully they have fixed that by now.

Mine will drive tacks at 250 Yards, sadly I have to walk down there to use it like a hammer, but it will drive tacks.