Thread: AR-15 "Gas Block" Question.

Default AR-15 "Gas Block" Question.

Is the rod that the Gas block holds in place under any presure.....? I want to switch some fore ends and gas blocks.

In my experience, no, not under any real pressure. It's called a gas tube and it is pinned into the gas block with a very small roll pin (easy to lose). You can leave the tube pinned in to the block and remove them from the barrel together if you want.
    Plenty of you tube vids on AR assembly/disassemby.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks........they are all Mid-length gas systems.

yank the whole thing out and replace with a piston system you will be much happier! so will your gun not getting nearly as dirty.

Gas blocks are usually clamped around the barrel by the screws at the bottom. The front sight is pinned with a roll pin. The gas tube can be left in place as previously posted. The caution with gas block is alignment with the barrel gas vent and the best way to do this is put a folding front sight on and align with the rear or better yet mount a red dot to co witness with original config then when you swap. There are at least three different sizes of barrel diameter at that gas port. Usually .650" for light weight barrels and .750" for medium weight. The new gas block/front sight must fit.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy, this is a related question. What size/hight gas block is needed to be the same hight as the flat top receiver?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Murphy, this is a related question. What size/hight gas block is needed to be the same hight as the flat top receiver?
    I don't know the dimensions but there is gas block (a standard height) then there is rail height, and then the non railed, low profile. I think the front sights are different heights. One for gas block one for rail. I do a lot of remodeling, upgrades I guess, on rifles around here. Remove A2style front and replace with block or free float rail. I just sort through the brownells catalog for the parts I need.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I use a cleaning rod and a straight edge and measure front and back then measure from the straight edge down to the top of the barrel where the gas block sits and that will give you what size to use. Nothing wrong with using Brownell's. Some of the BUIS sights aren't exactly precise and I've run out of elevation adjustment before it gets on target.

I learned the lesson at the expense of a customer who kept shooting and never could get it on target...kinda like the old carpenter story...I've cut it twice and it's still too short.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.