Thread: Going to the range?

Default Going to the range?

I wanted to share this video to stress the importance offully testing your rifle after it has been repaired and before you take it outin the field.
    This happened to my wife’s rifle after I had her trigger replaced.It has since been repaired and I am thankful that we caught this beforeanything serious happened!
    The 1st time Iflipped this rifle off safety (empty) and it fired, it about scared the crapout of me! This failure could have mostdefinitely killed someone!
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edi...id=iRs--OpHQVY
    Louis

Last edited by stid2677; 08-20-2012 at 10:49.

I couldn't get the first link to work but did find it on your YouTube page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRs--...e_gdata_player

Pretty scary! Glad you found it and corrected it safely.

Thanks for sharing! Pretty scary stuff! Glad I went to the range to check the zero on my rifle and to make sure it was in working order before the season. All good to go. As everyone knows if you always point the muzzle in a safe direction this would hopefully only scare you and not injure yourself or anyone you are with. Happy hunting and be safe out there!

Awesome and timely reminder Louis, Thanks.

Thanks Guys! I felt this one was too important not to share

Great post and reminder! I had a Rem 721 do that to me if you set the trigger to light. Scared the crap out of me.

Good to see you had the forethought to inspect the rifle in such a manner, I am sure your post will benefit others .

Would you PM me the name of the gunsmith who performed the work, please ?

I sent my 1953 model 721 back to the factory in January...about a 3 week turnaround...sure it's longer this time of year. They did a good job, and the price was right.
    http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...1-and-722.aspx

Everyone knows Remington has had these problems for years. Especially in the model 700. Not surprising for all you Remington owners out there.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    Everyone knows Remington has had these problems for years. Especially in the model 700. Not surprising for all you Remington owners out there.
    Yes, but the gunsmith who operated on it should be even more acutely aware of the issue and taken proper steps to remedy it.

Well heck, if everyone knows it already, I guess you wasted your time Louis

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Well heck, if everyone knows it already, I guess you wasted your time Louis
    That's not what I said. What I said was Remington owners know or should know about these problems with their safeties. This has been going on since the 80's.

That's exactly what you said.... whatever... but it is a good reminder or plain news to some. I've known about it for years myself (don't own any though) There can always be someone that might not be aware.

p.s. Not trying to challenge your gun knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    That's exactly what you said.... whatever... but it is a good reminder or plain news to some. I've known about it for years myself (don't own any though) There can always be someone that might not be aware.

p.s. Not trying to challenge your gun knowledge.
    I wasn't saying you were. You weren't challenging my gun knowledge. Just making smart ass comments. Which is cool cause I'm a smart ass myself. Louis shared a scary video. Hope everyone checks their rifles now before heading into the field if they haven't already. No hard feelings here. Happy hunting. Ps I don't own any Remington rifles either specifically for the reason.

I wasn't saying you were. You weren't challenging my gun knowledge. Just making smart ass comments. Which is cool cause I'm a smart ass myself. Louis shared a scary video. Hope everyone checks their rifles now before heading into the field if they haven't already. No hard feelings here. Happy hunting. Ps I don't own any Remington rifles either specifically for the reason.
    I've got an "early" Rem 700, had trigger work done to it, and never had any problems. It's been a great gun.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I've got an "early" Rem 700, had trigger work done to it, and never had any problems. It's been a great gun.....
    I would own one if I found a good deal. They are great guns that shoot well. They haven't sold millions of them for no reason. I'm just more partial to Winchester myself.

Tbone: What everyone seems to be missing is THIS IS NOT A REMINGTON TRIGGER! I never got a straight answer from the gunsmith that performed the work. Wildwest replaced the trigger for me (works like a champ!) and they said the trigger was broken at the shop and it should have never been sent out!

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    Tbone: What everyone seems to be missing is THIS IS NOT A REMINGTON TRIGGER! I never got a straight answer from the gunsmith that performed the work. Wildwest replaced the trigger for me (works like a champ!) and they said the trigger was broken at the shop and it should have never been sent out!
    Louis,
    That seems really odd to me. I'm just glad you found the problem and had it fixed. That would scare the hell out of anyone of it happened at the range or in the field. Is the gun a Remington or another brand? Good luck this fall. Look forward to seeing you on Alaska Outdoors Television with Tim.

Thanks tbone. Yes! This was a Remington Model 7 (Mrs. Ruth Rifle) which work fine from the factory. It just had a 9 lb trigger pull.
    It was "very" odd and 100% incompentence on the gunsmiths part.

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    Thanks tbone. Yes! This was a Remington Model 7 (Mrs. Ruth Rifle) which work fine from the factory. It just had a 9 lb trigger pull.
    It was "very" odd and 100% incompentence on the gunsmiths part.
    Wow 9 lb trigger pull is unacceptable from any manufacturer of rifles let alone Remington. Hopefully everyone learns and lives to tell about it. Then have some fun and get some meat. Happy Hunting