Thread: Suggestions...

Default Suggestions...

I've done some searching but most of what I can find is somewhat dated material and I'm interested in current products.

I'm planning a float trip for next season, not sure of where, just yet. I was wondering what you guys might suggest for a raft. It'll be 2-3 guys and probably a 10-12 day trip. We'll be bringing everything we need on the raft with us for the whole trip and will also need some room for meat/hides/horns if we're successful. A lot of what I'm seeing are really narrow rafts and I didn't know if that's pretty much par for the course or if there are some larger/wider options. Since we'll more than likely be flown in, weight could present an issue, but we're not opposed to taking 2 flights. If you need anymore information, please ask. Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

Bueller...? Bueller...?

I'd figure out there "where" part first, that may dictate the raft style.

And vice versa.

2-3 guys plus camp plus moose is an easy 2 raft trip.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Talk to Larry Bartlett if you are heading north, he has helped me out a few times with raft rental and which raft to take for which river... I have a sotar radical and love it for two or three guys when we caribou hunt.... It is nice becuz of the narrow design and how low it sits on the water when we have windy conditions. Bigger tubes on the raft will let you carry more weight, but grab the wind worse than the smaller tubes... So there is a trade off just have to figure out what your needs are... Good luck

Ok. Thanks for the advice. Is there a raft that is an Alaskan staple? Is one more popular than others because it's known to work on several different (many) rivers?

You'll find this thread blown out with marketing in no time.

2 guys in a float is a 16ft self bailer minimum. Average 100-125lbs in that range bare raft. I run a super simple frame, 2side and 2cross bars plus a seat. Maybe 15 lbs.

My entire raft ensemble is 127#.

LarryB is the only guy I know to have done 3 guys and 3 moose in the Soar Levitator.

NRS otter is another popular product up here.

Also check into Sotar as well, they turn a very nice product.

Where you located?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

In Palmer.

Can a guy fly with those frames? I didn't know if they broke all the way down and would fit in a plane or if you needed to find a raft without a frame for flying.

I imagined it'd end up a marketing nightmare, but if I can at least get some brands and styles, I'll try to do my own research and then talk to people who have experience and pick their brains...

I'm in Wasilla, you're more than welcome to take a look at what I run.

I highly recommend looking at as many boats as possible outside the showroom.

Lots of options with frames. Once broken down you can it the frame bars into most planes at only 6ft in length, or to a set of floats.

Other options include oar saddles, here's a set I'll be using this fall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I may have to take you up on that. I'd wanted to see quite a few in person before buying anything, just trying to figure out where to start. It's still a year out, but since the raft is a pretty key part of a float trip I'll start looking now. How do the cataraft styles compare to the closed bow looking ones that look more like whitewater rafts?

Cats are always an option but require a full frame with is not always fly-out friendly. Lots of parts, cargo nets and decking. They will draft more water as well with 2 giant tubes vs an inflated floor.

I would recommend a self bailer round raft.

Take TWB up on the offer, go see what he has and have some questions written down to ask him about the raft, that is going to be the best way to learn... Like he said look at as many raqfts as possible, and ask people questions all these rafts have a purpose.... First you need to know what kind of a hunt you are going to do, I mostly hunt the Brooks Range therefor my sotar with its narrow profile is good for me, becuz most of the rivers up there are smaller and fairly narrow with low water flow... I have used a Soar Levitator up there and it worked good too, but it would be a better option for a moose hunt on a larger river where one doesnt have tiny narrow channels... Good Luck and keep looking