Thread: V8 fuel additive/cleaner

Default V8 fuel additive/cleaner

What do you guys use for a fuel additive or injector cleaner for fuel injected v8's. The fuel seems like its getting worse up here.

I have added injector/ carb cleaner every year to both truck & boat. NAPA seems to be fine, I think it cleans and build up in the carb's since the boat sits for 8 months. Worked very well this years since the boat was idel for 10 months. You could hear the motor starting to purr more & more as I ran it up to WOT.

Techron is a good additive for cleaning injectors and can often be had at Costco for around $10.00. A bottle once a year will do it.

Sure seems hard to find knowledgeable information comparing different brands. How do you go about figuring out what's good and what isn't?

For my Mercury Optimax I use Mercury products even though Iím sure all they do is buy someone elseís product, re-brand it and jack the price up 150%. I do that because I donít know how to sort the reasonable priced good stuff from the reasonable priced crap.

good question kg -

I use seafoam. Can't say that I "know" that it helps. I do know that it makes my wallet 12$ lighter when I pour it in.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Sure seems hard to find knowledgeable information comparing different brands. How do you go about figuring out what's good and what isn't?

For my Mercury Optimax I use Mercury products even though Iím sure all they do is buy someone elseís product, re-brand it and jack the price up 150%. I do that because I donít know how to sort the reasonable priced good stuff from the reasonable priced crap.
    22 years as a professional mechanic provides much exposure to chemicals and thier use in machines. Also in sticking with practice, all of our vehicles over the years we have driven for 200k miles plus, without ever having to replace a single injector, the reasons I attribute to the lack of repair/replacement is either buying quality fuels-Chevron, Texaco(no longer in AK), Shell-as often as possible, and when not able to regularly, adding a quality chemical-Techron was my choice .

There are other quality chemicals available, but Techron is top notch and readily/consistantly available.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    22 years as a professional mechanic provides much exposure to chemicals and thier use in machines. Also in sticking with practice, all of our vehicles over the years we have driven for 200k miles plus, without ever having to replace a single injector, the reasons I attribute to the lack of repair/replacement is either buying quality fuels-Chevron, Texaco(no longer in AK), Shell-as often as possible, and when not able to regularly, adding a quality chemical-Techron was my choice .

There are other quality chemicals available, but Techron is top notch and readily/consistantly available.
    Sounds like knowledgeable info to me!

I buy Chevron 2 cycle injection oil for my boat because I've seen a consumer reports type evaluation of 2 cycle injection oil and Chevron was some of the best.

I was just curious if anyone had seen the same kind of evaluation for additives.

OK not looking to Highjack the thread here, I have wondered the same thing about an additive to clean my carb (no fuel infection) on my 350. Would something like the Techron mentioned above work for cleaning a carb? As of now it is working just fine....
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    OK not looking to Highjack the thread here, I have wondered the same thing about an additive to clean my carb (no fuel infection) on my 350. Would something like the Techron mentioned above work for cleaning a carb? As of now it is working just fine....
    I was never able to determine if an additive like Techron was truely effective for carbs, even after rebuilding who knows how many carbs over the years. The biggest issue with carbs is buildup in the vortices from oil vapor via the PCV and small particulates that pass the air filter. To clean buildup of that nature I always used Chemtool B12 sprayed on a rag to wipe away as much as possible, then with the enginie running (which can be problematic for a boat engine in the driveway), spray the vortices clean while operating the throttle to compensate for the extra fuel (B12 is flammable !), this will continue to clean the butterfly plates, intake runners and intake valves along the way, to some degree. B12 applied to the outside of the carb works well to clean residue from the linkages.

Any other "dirty" problem with a carb is typicaly a minute particle stuck in a passage that can only be cleared by dis assembly, a soak and compressed air, followed by an overhaul. Most carb issues are not due to "dirt" although contaminated fuel can wreak havoc on a carb, usually by the introduction of water then oxidation occurrs which in turn creates solids and plugged passages. A stuck needle valve and/or sunken float are other common failures that additives are useless against.

I see no reason not to put something like Techron in the fuel for a carb engine, for it will still be effective for cleaning the intake runners, valves and combustion chamber.

I am a big fan of Marvel mystery oil in the fuel and the oil. I ran it in the truck with great results so adopted it into the boat.

Second the use of Sea Foam. Works in gas, diesel and crankcase. Havent had any issues.

Thanks for the info!!I will probably put some techron as a precaution. The motor runs fine, the carb works as it should (choke ideling throttle response and the like) I add staybil every winter and run it around the lake to get the staybil to the carb as well. Im never fond of letting it set for 7-8 months...
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Where do you buy techron at?

Costco....
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"