Thread: FFLs, or others, how do rural Alaskans legally purchase firearms?

Default FFLs, or others, how do rural Alaskans legally purchase firearms?

For most of my adult life I have been a rural Alaskan. As such, my ADL always showed my PO Box as my address. Since many villages do not have any form of actual physical street address, none of the Govt ID I had showed a physical address.
    However, that never was a reason for an FFL to deny me a firearm. The last few times I filled out the 4473 form, I used a physical address for my place of residence in Nome. (Nome does have street addresses since they have property tax.) However, never was I asked to show a govt ID that showed that street address.
    Many rural Alaskans have nothing more than a state ID. No voter card, no vehicle registration, no ADL, nothing that would show a physical address, since in many villages no such address exists. ( i used to make up addresses to get UPS/Fedex packages when I lived in Unalakleet).
    Today I was denied transfer of a firearm because my new ADL showed my PO Box in Fbks and I had no govt ID to show the physical address I had to put on the 4473 form. It was suggested I use my voter card, but my new card has not arrived yet. It was also suggested I use a vehicle registration, but that also shows my PO Box in Fbks.
    So my question is..................how does someone from rural Ak. who has no physical address and no govt proof of such, purchase a firearm from a FFL?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Hunting license. It is state issued and you are required to put a physical address on it.

This is what they tell us:
    http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/20...licenseees.pdf

As was said a hunting license works, go get one, new cheap fishing license if you got one already with the wrong address and use your voter ID physical address on it. A power bill from a public utility like the city water utility or government owned power company will even work if it has some physical address and your matching name to your photo ID.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks guys. Apparently there is a requirement to verify the physical address. Past transfers I did recently were with an FFL who knew me personally and new where I lived. I guess he felt he didn't need any other ID for physical address. Other ruralites must be using hunt/fish/trap license or voter ID.
    Funny tho..........when you get a hunt/fish/trap license, they don't ask for any proof of residence other than ADL or state ID. You just tell them what your physical address is.
    DMV didn't require any documentation for new address in Fbks when I changed my Drivers License.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

If you are known to the FFL he can personally verify your physical address is valid, he becomes the evidence of where you live and can go with only the PO Box photo ID.

Yes you can put whatever you want on a hunting license and as long as it describes where you hang your hat as well as possible its good enough for ATF here in Alaska. The ATF agent said she has even seen stuff like GPS plotting or slip 25 Valdez harbor used.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

DMV and your hunting license are issued through the state. The 4473 form for a firearm purchase is a Federal form, hence the difference in requirements. That being said, if you live in a rural village, usually it will suffice to describe your location in relation to the local post office in distance and direction. Such as, 300 feet west of post office in kwigillingok, AK. 997whatever.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I doubt the waffen BATFEces even understands that most villages don't have planned streets and physical addresses for the most part.
    Now what ?

Look around on Alaskaslist, 907BigBoyToys, newspapers, ect, find what you want, make a call, send off a cashiers check and you'll get what you want in a week from the P.O. If you want a sidearm then have it sent via one of the many common carriers.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I doubt the waffen BATFEces even understands that most villages don't have planned streets and physical addresses for the most part.
    Seems like they do.
    http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/20...licenseees.pdf
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona