Thread: .458 wn

Default .458 wn

Hey guys --Have been out of the country for a while-- SO-- need to come up with $. Looking at my stuff, I have an, as new Win. "SUPER GRADE" #G1189053 .458 Win. as new. 1965-- used her when I was guiding on the pen. back in the day. Still have some .600 gr. BARNES, left as well as win. loads.
    Have no idea of value. WILLIAMS "buckhorn" sites and "kick easy" pad- 14" pull.
    She's a QUEEN!!-- and saved my ass more than once!! Just gave up guiding and Africa is no longer in the cards!!
    Any idea on a fair price??
    Thanks,
    Goo

When you figure out a fair price, let me know! I'll give you $500 right now! lol!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

DUDE- Your humor is taken lightly- This is not a hunting rifle, for Alaska, But if you haven't gone in on a blood trail-- after a client's bad shot.
    You may not understand the usefulness of what this cal. and rifle can do for you-- Been there and would not change a thing-- 63 and still rolling!!--old cal. but still the best-- in my opinion.
    With all respects--
    Goo

I would go over to gunbroker and see what they are going for. If it was pre-64 supergrade you would have somethign pretty cool and expensive. If I remember right not to many supergrades were made in the 458 the pre-64 ones, most were never shot due to the tangs cracking when fired. The ones that have been shot have had the tangs pinned due to the cracks. Now the post 64 who knows on a good price it varies, if you ask a $1,000 for it then they can go by a new winchester for 1200 that will be a CRF.

Thanks for your input 323.
    Goo

Post 64 458s generally bring between 4 and 7 hundred depending on condition, we have two just like yours that have been gathering dust for two years on the shelf at 699$. They are consignments so they have to sit as we can't blow them out of here on the cheap. If it was pre64 you'd have a 7500$ rifle on your hands in good shape, pre64 458s were all supergrades and they only made 1200 or so. Sadly the 65 and later guns don't bring the dollars, though they are good rifles. I agree as to the 458s effectiveness, I have one and use it but they are a tough sell because they have a pretty specialized use and are too much gun for most guys. If you want to get rid of it the 500$ offer wouldn't be too bad, you might get 6 or 7 for it but you might have to sit on it for a while.
    Checking Gunbroker is always a good idea, but you have to be careful to look at what they are selling for not what people are asking, I've seen overpriced guns relisted on Gunbroker dozens of times without a bid.

Thanks Mate, My heart is broken, not from the value, just because she has taken care of me in very tough situations and know what a wonderful rifle she is with the old Winchester quality!!
    Would give Her away to keep up the legacy of the past-- I had girl children who could care less!! But do have kin in Louisiana and sure she would do a job on those big hogs!!
    Thanks for the information.
    Goo

I use my .458 Ruger Tropical as a hunting rifle for Alaska. I don't hunt anywhere else. And you are right, it's the best weapon, IMO, to go in after a wounded bear or other large dangerous game. I like the caliber and shooting it. I'd still give ya $500 for it.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I believe Claude would keep the history going just fine and lots of folks would see the gun.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you