Thread: Valdez shrimping

Default Valdez shrimping

I am going to rent a boat for one day over Labor Day Weekend primarily to take the wife and kid out for kicks and to try for some shrimp. Being a smallish skiff, I don't want to go too far but at the same time I'd like a good shot at getting enough shrimp to make it worth the effort. If anyone has any spots they'd be willing to share, I'd appreciate it. You can PM me and I will keep it in the vault.

Thanks!

I've gotten one response so far....any others out there? Primarily looking for spots inside the Narrows....

Thanks.

I guess that just goes to show I wasn't paying attention. I even looked through the more recent threads on here and missed that.

As soon as you leave the harbor you will see shrimp pot buoys and will continue to see them at regular intervals along the shores all the way out past Sawmill and Galena bays. I have tried a couple times around the narrows and off of Sawmill - I always picked up a few shrimp but no big amounts. With all the pots fishing I really wouldn't expect to find many honey holes that aren't being fished. Pretty easy to see where the popular areas are by counting the buoys. I would imagine there will be more than one silver line tangled up while trolling in the areas with the pot lines once the fish get in thick.

Yeah, I know there's a lot of pots close in. There will probably be even more with all the silver fishermen that weekend. May not matter to me anymore, anyway. My boat rental fell through, so I may be land-locked. I don't mind that much, since I often have more success with silvers there from shore anyway, but it obviously eliminates the shrimping possibility.

If you end up finding a boat and coming down send me a PM and I'll let you know how my pots are doing. I have my pots out and have been moving them around the bay we have tried a few spots and found a few shrimp.

Will do. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Satellite S II Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2

Along the same lines, anyone know exactly what F&G wants for buoys? It says in the regs "a" buoy or bag attached to the line needs to have all your info on it, but on the permit itself it sounds like ALL buoys need all that info. I was thinking about renting or borrowing pots, and attaching a milk jug or something with my info, but that sounds like it may not be adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Along the same lines, anyone know exactly what F&G wants for buoys? It says in the regs "a" buoy or bag attached to the line needs to have all your info on it, but on the permit itself it sounds like ALL buoys need all that info. I was thinking about renting or borrowing pots, and attaching a milk jug or something with my info, but that sounds like it may not be adequate.
    Don't use milk jugs or anything with screw on caps, they tend to fill up with water and sink. If your gonna borrow pots you might as well borrow the lines and buoys also. Guess i should have a couple of strings of rental pots ???
    If you borrow gear use duct tape on the buoys to write you info on that way you can strip the tape off when you give the gear back.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

If you had the whole setup I'd rent a 5-pot string from you

Thanks for the duct tape tip. As is often the case, I was trying to make it too complicated. That's a simple, easy, low-cost solution.

Coho, I have 5 bouys with the boat numbers already on them if you need them, I am just short the pots till I get new ones from Steve. With the Ace line hauler I can pull a max two pots a string. I prefer to run singles so I can cover more area. Another nice reason to run singles is if you lose a pot, you only lose one. Both times I have lost pots was doubles. Gets spendy quik. If you have lots of rope you can run a bouy at each end of the string. If I had a bigger puller I would run a 5 pot string with two bouys.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    If you had the whole setup I'd rent a 5-pot string from you

Thanks for the duct tape tip. As is often the case, I was trying to make it too complicated. That's a simple, easy, low-cost solution.
    What you going to pull it with ?? 5 pots takes a bit of a hauler. If you do get some buoys to borrow you could always put your info on the milk jugs and just tape out the name and numbers on the borrowed buoys, use the milk jugs for id tags/lead jugs, just another idea.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Coho, I have 5 bouys with the boat numbers already on them if you need them, I am just short the pots till I get new ones from Steve. With the Ace line hauler I can pull a max two pots a string. I prefer to run singles so I can cover more area. Another nice reason to run singles is if you lose a pot, you only lose one. Both times I have lost pots was doubles. Gets spendy quik. If you have lots of rope you can run a bouy at each end of the string. If I had a bigger puller I would run a 5 pot string with two bouys.
    If I can come up with some pots I'll probably take the buoys, too. Or at least 2 or 3 of them. I'll see what I can scrounge up.

And Steve, yeah, it'd be a pain to haul a 5-pot string by hand....lol. It's no fun with one pot and 600 feet of line. I've done that many times as a teenager. The kids were the pot-pullers....

Fish Central doesn't rent shrimp gear anymore. Huh. Now I am potless, too....lol.