Thread: trout fishing in June

Default trout fishing in June

Gentlemen,

I will be staying in Anchorage for a week then Girdwood for a week from 6/03 to 6/15. Is there any local trout fishing I can get on in the mornings/evenings while up there. I plan on a king trip to the Kenai and possibly a halibut trip on the weekends but looking for a diversion during the week. I will have both a 6wt fly and spinning outfit with me.
    Thanks in advance.

EJC

Alder pond in poratage is the closest reliable place I can think of
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

When you're in Anchorage you might find some trout in the upper stretches of Campbell Creek. I've never fished it, but have some friends that do pretty well there...though they usually fish it later in the summer during the salmon spawn.

Make sure you check the regulations. Trout fishing is closed in the Kenai drainages until June 11 to protect the spawn. Anchorage and Mat-Su creeks are open with no retention rules and some specific area closures.

you've pretty much gotta head north since the peninsula streams don't open til mid june. i'd goto some of the valley streams and/or lakes.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

For some afterwork trout fishing i highly suggest fishing campbell creek, there are places on the greenbelt where you will be in complete seclusion right in the middle of the city. There will be some dolly varden there as well. I have personall had 30 trout days most of which were relatively small but one or two were in the high teens low 20 inch range

Question How about late June?

I am coming back to Alaska for the first time since 1982 in late June. My kids weigh less than a King, so I am looking for general advice on trout/char in the Kenai area (my expertise lies in the waters of Adak - little to far for this trip!)

Default Kenai fishing in June

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Shoup View Post
    I am coming back to Alaska for the first time since 1982 in late June. My kids weigh less than a King, so I am looking for general advice on trout/char in the Kenai area (my expertise lies in the waters of Adak - little to far for this trip!)
    Not sure how big your kis are but there certainly are opportunities for fishing in June. For still water, try Johnson lake (smaller fish, but lots of them), or many of the Lakes on the Swanson River Canoe System (many are road accessible). Stormy Lake in Nikiski, Longmere lake or Scout Lake in Sterling, Sports Lake in Soldotna.

If you have access to a boat, Hidden lake for lakers is great (article/image in the paper today about a 6 pounder through the ice!). Kelly/Peterson lakes are also good with a boat...

While the Russian River should be good for trout/char, I am not sure if it is necessarily the best for the kids. In late June, the first run should be in and the combat fishing will be going fairly strong. Being from Kodiak, I suppose the bears shouldn't be a real concern, however be very watchful for the people who are afraid of bears and do stupid things, thus endangering the bears and all of the people around them.

Good luck,

Last I checked the regs Mat Su streams were closed for trout fishing till after June 15th till you got well above Willow.
    You might try lakes. Most lakes are open to fishing that time of year.

Thanks! I am on the hook for them to land a fish each, and one moose sighting, and the trip will offically be a success!

Late june and you want a king? Go to clear creek drive to talkeetna then take a $50 jet boat drop off, hike up a ways then sight fish to kings and use dry flies for rainbows and grayling
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.