Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any ammo hoardes on here?

Default Any ammo hoardes on here?

A friend of mine dropped by today and as he entered the kitchen he noticed my 2 bags of new 375 Ruger brass sitting on the counter. He picked up a bag and said is this all you bought. He then told me that when he gets a new gun that he intends to keep he usually buys 500 rounds of brass. I said even big guns like a 375 and he said yes. Man 500 rounds of brass for a caliber like the 375 is overkill in my book. I doupt that I wear out the 100 rounds of brass that I have.

Do you guys hoard brass like my friend for your thumpers? How many reloadings do you get with the brass for your big guns? I figure if this gun gets to go on 10 hunts in what time I got left I'll feel fortunate!

Interesting choice of the 375. For me, I probably would buy 500 if I could find a big enough break in price. I shoot mine a minimum of 200 full power shots each spring to get warmed up with the gun, then probably another 200-300 rounds over the course of summer and fall. It just kind of takes steady shooting to keep me proficient with it. Call it 500 full power shots a year and probably that many more reduced loads and you wouldn't be far off. If I was shooting only full snort loads rather than retiring the cases after 4 loadings to my reduced load collection, I'd need to replace the 500 round brass lot every 4 years on average.

Hoarding? That sezz to me a guy is sitting on it and not shooting it. I shoot mine.

Maybe so, maybe so. I like to load in batches of 100, like to have 100 loaded on hand all the time then add to that I usually have at least 2 loadings for any gun. So I buy bulk 500 or 1000 at a whack, couple thousand for auto handguns. But then being a handgun and lever action guy I donít really have any big thumper rifles but my 50BMG which I hardly shoot and only have 60 brass for. 460 S&W is my main hunting gun and I got over 2000 brass for that then stuff like 357, 45acp, 45 Colt, 30-30 and 30-06 I have buckets of Iíve horded up for free or real cheap. I do shoot a lot though, just about every day but not like I used to in Arizona where it was nothing to burn 1000 rounds of assorted calibers or more just on a Sunday . . . now itĎs mostly 460 and 10mm and more like 500-1000 a week.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'll never tell. I don't want anyone coming over to "borrow" a few.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If I've got only ONE rifle chambered for a cartridge, 200 cases is enough for me.

When I had my 338, the closest thing to a "thumper" I've ever owned, I didn't have much more than that. I like to load in batches of about 50 rounds.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Nah, I don't hoard... anymore than 1000 for a bolt gun and 5000 for an auto is just overkill IMHO

I hoard stuff I don't use but collect and shoot what I use. I have about 100 -150 pieces of brass for the magnums, countless amounts for the pistols and .223 for the AR. I make sure to always have on hand 250 rounds of 22-250 in case a last minute trip comes up. For the magnums I try and keep minumum 20 rounds loaded. I usually don't shoot more than that in a day and alway reload when I get back when everything is still fresh in my head. The stuff I hoard is the free stuff I find at the ranges or someone gives me that I don't own a weapon that shoots them. I keep them in case I buy one or a buddy has one and wants me to help him load some stuff up.

Man I absolutely hate the term "hoarder" as it implies some kind of negative connotation. But, let's just say that I have well over 6,000 rounds of ammo for many firearms. I guess there is a kind of pattern to it in that the more recreational/training type shooting I do with a particular gun, the more ammo there is for it. I've lost count on how many thousands of rounds of 40S&W I have on the shelf, but that is what I shoot the most of in pistol calibers. And then there are thousands of rounds of 223 as the AR gets lonely if I don't take her to the range fairly regular. Even the shotgun likes to get out and play a lot, so I keep a pretty good stockpile of 12g trap, buck, and slug lying in wait.

That said, when it gets to the hunting rifle calibers, I keep considerably less ammo around for those. And the guns that don't go play as much don't have as much ammo sitting there. For example, I don't really shoot the old 38/357 wheelguns much any more, so I've got a smaller bucket o' bullets in that caliber.

And I like Batman movies.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

For me it is not so much as 'hoarding' as it is buying when I have some extra cash. During the winter months when one can not get outside much, is a time to spend reloading, which envolves a fair amount of time cleaning and inspecting brass. Being that there is more then one shooter in the family, a couple hundred rounds, per gun, does not go far.
    Several of the 'shooting' friends that I have would ask what was wrong if I 'only' had a 100-200 rounds loaded.

I buy when I find a deal on brass. I've got way more .458 brass than I'll ever shoot, but I lucked into a deal on brass and bullets.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I don't hoard but I do prepare for lean times. I am prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I don't hoard but I do prepare for lean times. I am prepared.
    DITTO; I don't hoard ammo. But brass isn't ammo and can be modified for different calibers and some brass and ammo gets discontinued over time when it falls out of favor or is no longer kewl . SO I always have more kinds of brass than I do calibers of guns to shoot it ; add dies and the old retired calibers can come to life.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I've got 200 rounds of brass for my .375Rug... may not ever need more. 200x 5 loads is 1000rounds of ammo. I might shoot 40-50 a year. Not exactly a gun I'll break out for 'fun'.

I keep more 300WSM on hand. Bought a case of factory ammo with the rifle...still have 1/2 of it...enough to hunt the rest of my life if I'm careful. Keep a couple hundred hand loads floating around for practice and plinking...could hunt with them if I take the notion.

Generally I buy a flat of 12g a every couple of years, gonna start doing that with 20ga now that the boy is shooting more of them. Keep a fair bit of .22 as the family can really go through them when we take the notion.

Other stuff I don't shoot very often...not so much, a few boxes or so. I've got a fair number of broken boxes, a half box of a load a rifle didn't shoot well, peculiar shotgun loads, stuff I find on sale-that sort of thing. Hoarding? not even close.

I do know folks that keep tens of thousands of rounds of ammo in storage- some dating back to when they feared the Soviets would invade- that's hoarding.

Not so sure that's practical without shooting a lot but to each his own.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

with the price of components these days I wish I was a hoarder years ago..

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Interesting choice of the 375.

Hoarding? That sezz to me a guy is sitting on it and not shooting it. I shoot mine.
    The 375 Ruger was initially going to be a 358 Norma mag. Someone gave me a bunch of .375 bullets(mostly Speer 235 grainers) and someone else gave me a batch of once fired brass as he didn't reload. I wanted a short compact thumper and the 375 Ruger will do a little more with a 20 inch barrel than the Norma Mag will do with 26 inches.

I have a thousand 223s loaded up, 500 of the 22-250s, 500+ 308s, a thousand+ 375 Winchesters(my favorite guns to shoot) 250 358s and gobs of 40's and 38's and a wheel barrel full of bricks of 22s Then a host of others that weren't in MTM boxes so the aren't countable. 90% of the time there are either 38/357 dies or 375 Winchester dies in the press!

I just plain and simple won't shoot the 375 Ruger a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    . . . now itĎs mostly 460 and 10mm and more like 500-1000 a week.
    AD how many rounds do you figure you have put through your EAA Tangfolio 10 mm? I made the mistake of loaning mine to someone close to me and I aint sure it's coming back......been toying with just getting another one for just ME!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    AD how many rounds do you figure you have put through your EAA Tangfolio 10 mm? I made the mistake of loaning mine to someone close to me and I aint sure it's coming back......been toying with just getting another one for just ME!
    I have two of the Match in 10mm and a 45 slide that works on ether. The older one without the rail on it has a lot of 10 through it over the years, maybe 15K or more. I first got it in 05 and everyone I know in 4 states has shot it quite a bit, itís been a heck of a gun. The new one with the rail I got last winter has maybe 1500 rounds of 10 and 500 or so of 45 on it it wasnít near as well put together a gun out of the box as the older one but sheís about broke in good now. Still a heck of a gun for the money but the plastic grips are flat out cheesy and it was one big sharp edge when new. I changed the grips to the Elite wood ones, put the good heavy duty guide rod and 20lb spring in, and spent an afternoon braking the corners off the outside. I got about $900 in it with parts, mags 45 upper and all, itís pretty much a 10/45 Elite now and the Elite sells for over a grand on gunbroker in one or the other caliber.

There are two frame sizes, all the 10mm and 45acp are the larger frame. The large frame can be any caliber but the 9, 40, 357 etc could be factory built on ether frame. Itís hard to tell them apart so if you want changeable caliber be sure to start with a 10 or 45. The Match is about $150 more than plain Whiteness and well worth it I think just for the S/A smooth light trigger on it but you also get the long slide and good adjustable target sites. Itís no high end gun out of the box but the Match is a heck of a value at +/- $550 for a solid steel 10mm auto!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I have two of the Match in 10mm and a 45 slide that works on ether. The older one without the rail on it has a lot of 10 through it over the years, maybe 15K or more. I first got it in 05 and everyone I know in 4 states has shot it quite a bit, itís been a heck of a gun. The new one with the rail I got last winter has maybe 1500 rounds of 10 and 500 or so of 45 on it it wasnít near as well put together a gun out of the box as the older one but sheís about broke in good now. Still a heck of a gun for the money but the plastic grips are flat out cheesy and it was one big sharp edge when new. I changed the grips to the Elite wood ones, put the good heavy duty guide rod and 20lb spring in, and spent an afternoon braking the corners off the outside. I got about $900 in it with parts, mags 45 upper and all, itís pretty much a 10/45 Elite now and the Elite sells for over a grand on gunbroker in one or the other caliber.

There are two frame sizes, all the 10mm and 45acp are the larger frame. The large frame can be any caliber but the 9, 40, 357 etc could be factory built on ether frame. Itís hard to tell them apart so if you want changeable caliber be sure to start with a 10 or 45. The Match is about $150 more than plain Whiteness and well worth it I think just for the S/A smooth light trigger on it but you also get the long slide and good adjustable target sites. Itís no high end gun out of the box but the Match is a heck of a value at +/- $550 for a solid steel 10mm auto!
    My new JSC catalog has the 10mm EAA Witness Elite Match for $484.50. I'm going to ask about the one that I have on loan and if it has a happy home(my Dad has it and he has ginormous hands and Witness was made for big hands)) then next month I'm going to order one of these from JSC. I've done spent my gun kitty broke for this month and have enough gun projects underway that I'm good until the Eagle flies over again next month! Thanks for the Witness update!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    with the price of components these days I wish I was a hoarder years ago..
    Amen to that!

One man's hoarder is another's prudently stocked and prepared individual.
    Now what ?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast