Thread: blueberrys around fairbanks

Default blueberrys around fairbanks

its been years... if i go out to the mountains this weekend, am i likely to come across any?

I haven't looked around town much, but we just snacked a fair bit on wild blueberries out in the North Foothills of the Alaska Range, not too far west of Clear. We were picking at what I would guess was close to 1300 ft or so in elevation., though that wasn't our inital purpose in being there.

The berries there stuil. had a fairly strong flavor, though they were technically ripe. I think they would've benefitted from either another half-week to a week of time on the vine, or perhaps a light frost, to increase the sugar content.

That said, you may find some up near Cleary Summit, though I haven't picked anything up there in over 25 years, as I rarely get up that way any more.

I've also seen a few vehicles parked near the trails on the other side of Ballaine Hill, in the Goldstream Valley bogs there. But that's the blueberry picker's equivalent of Los Angeles, in my opinion.

Further out the Elliot Hwy you may also find some that are ripe.

they're all over the place.. I'm going picking this evening
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Ooops!! When I wrote, "not too far west of Clear," I meant to write, "not too far EAST of Clear."

Geographic dyslexia will screw a guy up every time. But it may, in some cases, also lead to discovering new terrain... Whether that was intended or not is another thing altogether...