Thread: Air travel with Cabelas Boundary Waters II dry bags

Default Air travel with Cabelas Boundary Waters II dry bags

I was curious if anyone has used the Cabelas Boundary Waters II dry bags during air travel. I already own two large bags (new) but I have discovered that it is difficult to secure the bags. There aren't any good loops to put a lock on to keep someone from getting into it. You can zip tie the you know what out of it but that seems to be about as secure as you are going to get it.

It's always scary thinking someone can get into it that easily and take your stuff (expensive hunting items you can not carry on).

Has anyone used these bags for air travel and if so, would you share that experience with me. If you secured them somehow I would like to know how you were able to do that as well.

Thank you
    Last edited by osceola hunter; 08-08-2012 at 14:51. Reason: spelling error

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If someone wants to get in the bag, they will get in the bag...locks only keep out the honest folks.

the bags are great but not to secure and its too easy to get holes in your bag, I find that using them and putting them in military sea bags and then looking that works well for security and protects the bag as well
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I have flown and shipped my gear in the Boundary Waters bags for years. I've used the typical "dry bags", and I also own a pair of the BW waterproof duffels. They are durable and will hold up well to rough use, abrasion and the beatings associated with air travel. I've frozen meat inside a BW dry bag and then flown home with it...great way to bring home larger cuts or whole fish.

There is no way to lock them securely. Even if you could, TSA can cut that lock immediately. I used to zip-tie the closure at the buckles, and would recommend that for the dry bag where one buckle is holding everything closed. Nothing is theft-proof when traveling, and I just try to make sure everything is secure and not easily (or accidentally) opened.

I have flown to Alaska twice with my big duffel, never had a problem. Just tighten all the straps and tie them up tight so nothing can grab them. They handle it well. I try to pack my valuables in my carry on bag or into my gun case.

Thanks for the feedback, its always helpful to learn what others have experienced.

Leaving August 19th. I will pack the most expensive items in my carry on and gun case.

Thanks