Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matsu EOs.

Default Matsu EOs.

L. Su closed to coho fishing friday and Jim cr bag limit drops to one coho. I also noticed the setnetters up here were shut down as well. How long till big su tribs follow suit?

These EO's are getting old and scary. Makes you wonder what we did to p*ss mother nature off

Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    L. Su closed to coho fishing friday and Jim cr bag limit drops to one coho. I also noticed the setnetters up here were shut down as well. How long till big su tribs follow suit?
    Wow, this doesnt sound good. What a year...

Coho are a no show basin-wide.

The writing was on the wall when the initial UCI driftnet catch showed such dismal numbers more than 2 weeks ago.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

whats your thoughts on this mr. fishdoc

If you don't kill them, they WILL spawn.

That's just for starters.

Other issues are important, but that one tops the list.

FYI coho are a HORRIBLY wimpy species for C&R, esp before they have hardened off in the river. ADFG study done on L'il Su silvers showed about 70% mortality for all comers.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    . . FYI coho are a HORRIBLY wimpy species for C&R, esp before they have hardened off in the river. ADFG study done on L'il Su silvers showed about 70% mortality for all comers.
    Doc is not kidding, nor is 70 percent c&r mortality in tidewater a typo. That is the naked truth, and here is the study that presented those figures:

Doug Vincent-Lang, et al, "Mortality of coho salmon caught and released using sport tackle in the Little Susitna River, Alaska, 1992"

Anyone interested might try typing the title into Google . . don't know whether it's still available outside ADF&G or not.

I wonder if they are going to follow suit with the Kenai Kings and be super late? I must have watched 50 kings jump in the Kenai last night while I was pink fishing. Last I checked Seward Silvers are still dismal compared to a "normal year".

I would have to agree with the results of that study on Coho. I have caught and released a couple Coho out at Jim Creek this year and am 90% certain that they died shortly after releasing them. I don't know if it is the warm water out there or what but they are not hearty at all. As far as Coho, I have caught as many or more silvers out at this fishery in the past week and a half then I have in any of the last 8 years since starting fishing there. My philosophy is to get there early, catch my two silvers and be home in time to have a real breakfast. Fish are unusually small though, averaging 4-5 pounds. A few 6-7 pounders mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonMan View Post
    I would have to agree with the results of that study on Coho. I have caught and released a couple Coho out at Jim Creek this year and am 90% certain that they died shortly after releasing them. I don't know if it is the warm water out there or what but they are not hearty at all. As far as Coho, I have caught as many or more silvers out at this fishery in the past week and a half then I have in any of the last 8 years since starting fishing there. My philosophy is to get there early, catch my two silvers and be home in time to have a real breakfast. Fish are unusually small though, averaging 4-5 pounds. A few 6-7 pounders mixed in.
    I am having the complete opposite year. I have never been skunked so many times as this year. In years past I would limit within 20 minutes and go home. The same spot every year, and this year I am yet to even hook into one.

What's the deal with the unusually warm water in Jim creek?? I noticed this today when I fished this morning. I limited out but it took too long for my liking and the bite was horrible... Even with eggs. What correlation dose the water temp have to do with the choho bite? There are plenty of fish moving through but they are very persnickety...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Default Jim Creek...

Also Jim Creek is going to hours 6am to 6pm as well as only 1 silver

Beginning at 6:00 a.m. Friday, August 10, the bag and possession limit for coho salmon in Jim Creek is reduced from two to one fish. Anglers may harvest three salmon, other than king salmon, of which only one may be a coho salmon. In addition, fishing is open only from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Silver fishing on Sheep and Caswell creeks is very poor as well. I wonder how long before more Matsu streams are closed?

Quote Originally Posted by AKKCChief View Post
    Silver fishing on Sheep and Caswell creeks is very poor as well. I wonder how long before more Matsu streams are closed?
    Umm, yea... Sheep was very slow last weekend. I saw very few silvers being caught after hours of fishing. I ended up getting one - and a couple of pinks.

Caught 2 every time ive been out to montana this year. I can agree about the part of the fish being small this year, tiny little coho. Although up on the yetna all the fish have been decent sized, pulled out about a 10-11lb buck and a few decent sized hens.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I fish all of the Parks Hwy streams, and I agree with the weak Coho numbers everywhere, except for the place I fished today! It was a "religious experience", my best Coho day ever. I must of landed more than 30, no BS! Actually got tired of it before I ran out of bait. There are a lot of Coho in at least one Parks Hwy stream. BTW, floated the Little Willow y-day, and did not get good Coho action until we got close to the mouth.
    Fishin is the Mission!

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook1986 View Post
    I fish all of the Parks Hwy streams, and I agree with the weak Coho numbers everywhere, except for the place I fished today! It was a "religious experience", my best Coho day ever. I must of landed more than 30, no BS! Actually got tired of it before I ran out of bait. There are a lot of Coho in at least one Parks Hwy stream. BTW, floated the Little Willow y-day, and did not get good Coho action until we got close to the mouth.
    Too bad you guys that like to just catch and release till you are too tired to do it anymore don't target chums. They are so much more plentiful and WAY heartier when battled and released, Plus they are bigger and just plain fight way harder. Especially BAIT fishing for silvers just to release is IMO stupid. Half the time, at least, they put it down far enough to get in the gills etc. Look up the mortality rate studies done on catch and release of silvers if you give a $#@%.

Agreed. Collectively, 7 out of 10 are statistically dead using all techniques (bait/lure/fly). Even worse if you consider bait alone.

C&R coho is a fools game.... horribly fragile fish for tolerating a hook and release encounter. Really a poor choice unless the fish are hardened off (blushed and no longer losing scales) esp if you are going to do it WITH BAIT!

That said, if you are going to exercise your legal right to C&R with bait, at least make a concerted effort to rig in a manner that minimizes the risk of the hook being ingested along with your eggs.

Hangback amputee is the ONLY way to responsibly fish bait if you intend to release a significant portion of your catch.
    The KeenEye MD

Or if you cared to read the whole thread, it states the c&r mortality rate for cohos are very poor.
    70% on the lil su...
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

what I am wondering is why they are letting the comm guys harvest silvers if they are raining EO's all over the place. Not to mention they have caught almost 100,000 silvers since aug 9th. I can't figure this one out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast