Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose taken with the 358 Winchester

Default Moose taken with the 358 Winchester

Ok fellers heres the deal Smokey and I both recently took advantage of the sale of a lifetime and got ourselves each a Ruger 77 ss Hawkeye in the wonderful 358 Winchester chambering. We are in the early stages of making plans to go to Canada and shoot ourselves a moose apiece and maybe a black bear if a purdy(and stupid) one aint paying attention!

What would you consider the perfect 358 W load for moose? What do you use in your 358s?

Just about anything but pistol bullets.

Only one I've shot with a 358 was using the old original 200 grain silvertip factory load. I forgot to pack my loving handloads and a single box of 200's was all I could find in Fairbanks.... And glad to have it. Shot was on a good bull at about 80 yards, left side back rib angling forward to right shoulder. Exit hole on the shoulder after breaking ribs on both sides plus the shoulder bone, dead moose and no bullet recovered. If those old silvertips were as "soft" as everyone claimed, anything today would do the job. Actually, I shot enough game with it over the years to doubt the claimants had ever used it!

225 gr Partitions and X-terminator powder.

Shot me a little fork moose a good while back with a 200 grain Hornady. Won't make that mistake again. One shot about 170 yds away. The exit-side shoulder was a blood shot mess. Jacket separated from the core, the core deflected and traveled up the shoulder bone and exited out of the neck.

This year I'm shooting a 275 grain Woodleigh around 2175 fps from a 20" barrel. Anything within 300 yds and I'm golden. I'm actually leaving out in a few days, going to spend an entire month scouting for moose, caribou is a freeby, things are like mosquitoes.......every where everyday. Caribou hunting is just an excuse to get in some early season scouting.....two weeks worth.

You are a lucky man Mike, one peace of dry land anyplace and your moose is on it. You still got the 358 BLR or is that an old shot of it?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

A friend of mine just last year drew a tag for moose in the lower half of the world. He bought my old 358 M70 and wanted moose ammo. I loaded him 225 partitions over about 44.0 grains of Vihta N135. This gave about 2350 fps from the old carbine and it worked like a charm.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Cool pic, mainer.

EKC,
    I've had great performance on elk withthe Sierra 225 gameking outta my 350 rem mag, don't know why it wouldn't work out of the 358winnie
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Doesn't matter what you use.............those canuck moose are SMALL!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Doesn't matter what you use.............those canuck moose are SMALL!
    EKC; Never shot a moose with a 358 so can't relate any bullet performance there. I would however draw on my 338-06 shooting expierence and consider using the Nosler 225 grn Sp NP or the 220 grn FN Speer Hot Core; both have the integrity to accomplish your task, since the 358 Winnie is a medium velocity cartridge. And remember that those ITTY-BITTY canuck mooses have a small vital area (about 12" x 24"); so aim small-miss small. GOOD LUCK !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I had one of the rugers in a 358 good little gun. Anyhow the load I had for mine consisted of RL-15 and a 225 sierra boattail. I could not get partitions or accubonds to shoot in that thing. If I swithced powder probably but that load I had shot lights out.

I kinda hope the mooses are small. I'd hate to kill Smokey off hauling all that meat back to the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I kinda hope the mooses are small. I'd hate to kill Smokey off hauling all that meat back to the truck.
    You might need to get Smokey a big box of Wheaties and start building him up, mooses is a lot of work !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    A friend of mine just last year drew a tag for moose in the lower half of the world. He bought my old 358 M70 and wanted moose ammo. I loaded him 225 partitions over about 44.0 grains of Vihta N135. This gave about 2350 fps from the old carbine and it worked like a charm.
    I like those numbers Murphy and I loaded my last batch of 308s up with N135 and was happy with it. I'm getting side tracked a bit from the 358 thread but the N135 is worth talking about. I have used 748 in 308's forever but then it's been around forever and I just never got around to trying any of the newer stuff. The Range Master at Brownells new range invited me to come shoot and said there would be several different Chronographs on hand for shooters to use. So I compared the N135 loads to my old stand by 748 loads. The top load of N135 was about 125 fps faster than a compressed load(50 grains) of 748 with the same 130gr Hornady. I can't remember ever shooting these 748 loads through a chrony before so what I didn't know didn't hurt. The SD on the 748 loads was 100fps(that sucks) and magnum primers were used. The N135 had a SD of 20 fps. 10 rounds of each were fired. The 3100 fps with the 130 grain Hornady also makes me not miss my old retired 270....sorry Jack!

n135 is a bit on the slow side, as a result, the velocity is unacceptably slow. You'd run out of powder space before you ever seen anything promising on the chronograph. 2450 fps-2550fps is what I have in mind when I think of a 225 grain bullets.

n133 is my next choice, Slightly slower than reloader 10x (which is my powder choice), but faster than TAC. I may even consider trying some n530, but finding that locally will be difficult. I'm all set for this hunting season, but this winter, will test my two preferred bullets (200 grain accubond and the 275 grain woodleigh) against my reloader 10x loads.

Here's their burn rate chart compared to other powders:
    http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/pdfs...Rate-Chart.pdf

I recently tried TAC in my Rem350 and got great results. A 225 Sierra at 2780 with 60grs, 2810 with 61gr. I'm thinking it would be about the right burn rate for the 358Win as well and available at SW.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I recently tried TAC in my Rem350 and got great results. A 225 Sierra at 2780 with 60grs, 2810 with 61gr. I'm thinking it would be about the right burn rate for the 358Win as well and available at SW.
    What rifle and barrel length was this out of?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

It's a Rem 700 SA with 24" barrel.

AA 2520 is a good powder also worked well in several 358,s I owned with the std 250 Speer spitzer bullet.

Bikers.jpgHi fellers, just got back from a week in the mtn's around Yellowstone - all I will say is if you have asthma "like me" there was so much smoke everyday it made the trip very nasty. We drove out the south route thru Wy hoping to get away from some of it as we had stayed on the north/west side and it was no better. We drove 500 miles in heavy smoke leaving - unbelievable....
    Anyhoo, got to have supper with EKC and his lovely bride tuesday night and that was very nice... Of course the women talked guns while we sat and twiddled our thumbs!
    In my Nosler manual a gun writer at the preface of the 358 entry spoke of using 225 gr bullets and Xterminator powder ( 47 grains ), and got 2500 FPS... So, I called the Ramshot powder co while I killed some time in Montana and spoke with the owner I think. He said 47 grains was pretty stout and rec starting at 41.0 grains - est 2100fps - working up to 44.5 grains = 2400fps. with a 225 grain bullet. that was using a 24in bbl and I think the Ruger Hawkeyes are 22in???
    Seems like it is pretty easy to get 2500 fps out of a 200 grain bullet and perhaps that would be a better choice in the 358 vs the 225's. Probably makes little overall difference to the critter in the end though at 200 yds or under.... I see Nosler also has a 225 in Accubond - not sure if that would be better than a Partition?
    Thanks for meeting us EKC, had a great visit!

Went by Sturgis and got this nice pic of a bike u chaps may enjoy !
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast