Thread: Are there still fishable numbers of reds in Sterling Area?

Default Are there still fishable numbers of reds in Sterling Area?

Will there still be fishable numbers of reds in the Sterling area on the Kenai by this weekend? I know the pinks are on the way and I was hoping for a little bit of a "window" for red fishing before the pinks got up there.

Fishable, but not great, might take most of the day to get a limit unless you've got a great spot and great technique.

I'm not there but I'm sure the answer is yes, absolutely. I have friends in the Kenai Keys neighborhood upstream from Soldotna and they are having no problems catching reds. We have caught them there in previous years during the last week of August. I believe there have recently been about 20,000 coming over the sonar daily and with about 1.5 million fish having entered the river so far you shouldn't have too much trouble.

I'd fish right above the rapids at Bings. If there are still fish in the river, they will be moving up in that tight area away from the mig river rapids. Will take you longer but you can still pick up fish.

Just checked out the fish counts and they look like they really dropped big time in the past couple days. Might make other plans for the weekend.

Went Saturday. The water has dropped a couple feet, is ultra clear, and we didn't see anything but s single old red and a small whitefish swim by in 5 hours. It was a beautiful day to sit out on the dock and visit with friends and soak up some rays though.

Default Sterling area

Was in the area Saturday and Sunday, didn't catch any, didn't see any caught, hardly anyone fishing.