Thread: Kenai Reports - Upper and Middle?

Default Kenai Reports - Upper and Middle?

I've been serving a lengthy sentence on the slope. Come in tomorrow for five short days before returning. I'm not sure where I shall fish as I'll only have one shot on Saturday. I know Skilak to Bing's like the back of my hand but the notion of pinks scares me off a bit. Also contemplated the Moose down although I know little of this stretch and pinks would be just as bad there as on the Middle. I figure big beads and flesh around the cleaning tables might produce some bows. The egg bite isn't usually ***** hot on the Upper til the beginning of September and heavy river traffic might be an issue on a Saturday. So, I'm hoping some of you trout bums might've been out recently and could provide some feedback. AlaskaChuck will surely have some input...

I might fish bings to the lake tomorrow if I get a friend to come. So might have some info for you after that. The kenai river bows thread has some more recent info in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
    I've been serving a lengthy sentence on the slope. Come in tomorrow for five short days before returning. I'm not sure where I shall fish as I'll only have one shot on Saturday. I know Skilak to Bing's like the back of my hand but the notion of pinks scares me off a bit. Also contemplated the Moose down although I know little of this stretch and pinks would be just as bad there as on the Middle. I figure big beads and flesh around the cleaning tables might produce some bows. The egg bite isn't usually ***** hot on the Upper til the beginning of September and heavy river traffic might be an issue on a Saturday. So, I'm hoping some of you trout bums might've been out recently and could provide some feedback. AlaskaChuck will surely have some input...
    I have got nothing to say, other than. Middle...A bazillion pinks, still lots and lots of red wranglers, and high water......Upper, no pinks, Red wranglers settling down as the Reds, are RED, decent fishing for Bows and Dollies last weekend, Water still up for this time of year, murky and a bit fast....Either way your gonna work for em.... I have thought about both and am doing 1 of them
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Right on, Chuck, Logan! The replies are appreciated. Effing pinks...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
    Right on, Chuck, Logan! The replies are appreciated. Effing pinks...

As much as they can get in the way this time of year, the will bring some pig bows out of the lake all fall to snack on thier rotting flesh
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    As much as they can get in the way this time of year, the will bring some pig bows out of the lake all fall to snack on thier rotting flesh
    Always a silver lining. I hit the middle yesterday and didn't hook into any pinks. Word is they're down low. The trout fishing was okay. We caught a fair number of fish all on flesh patterns but nothing of notable size with a few dollies mixed in. Fished big and little beads with no luck. In places the reds are grouping up with trout lingering but no eggs seem to have dropped yet. A few folks were still ripping reds, no sign of any silver.

Fished from bings to super hole yesterday. Hit a awesome colorful dolly first thing in the day on a bead. Landed a ton of Dolly's not very many bows. Prolly gonna fish it again tomorrow.

why do the pinks make for bad fishing?????

Quote Originally Posted by jdcollins86 View Post
    why do the pinks make for bad fishing?????
    The only reason is because they are usually caught while targeting other species. If you are targeting them with say a 4wt or 5wt, they are a kick in the pants!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    The only reason is because they are usually caught while targeting other species. If you are targeting them with say a 4wt or 5wt, they are a kick in the pants!
    Sounds fun. Ill be floating the upper in the beginning of September. Will a 7 wt be to much for the rainbows and dollys?

Sounds fun. Ill be floating the upper in the beginning of September. Will a 7 wt be to much for the rainbows and dollys?
    A 7# will do you good on the upper the first week of Sept.

I fish with 7wts all the time for Rainbows and Dollys on the Kenai. Wouldnt actually use less than a 6wt, but thats just me
    Piscor Ergo Sum