Thread: gun project question..

Default gun project question..

I have a M70 in .300 WinMag that I would like to rebarrel to a .338 WM. The magazine is short and will pretty much only accept standard length factory ammo, which I believe would be perfect for my .338 handloads. With a good middle of the road to high end barrel, can anyone give me an ball park amount I should expect from a good smith for the job? I would likely buy the barrell myself. Thanks

You could have Dan Pedersen of Classic barrel works rebore your 300 to 338, I think it's around $200-$300 depending on what you have him do. I have a mod 70 in 300 that needs a new barrel or rebore too, still kicking around what cal to go with though.

If you go with a new barrel you'll be looking at a min of $400 and more like $500-$600+ depening on what and who you go with and different finish options ect.

All of the above $ doesn't factor shipping costs, if you were to use an outside smith.

If you are so inclined any good gunsmith can remove the spacer in the rear of the magazine box and and do a few more things to have your rifle easily handle rounds like the 375 H&H, 416, 458 Lott, etc.
    All Winchester 70's designed to handle rounds like the .270. 06, 300 Wm, 338 WM, 375, 416, etc are all the same size.
    Last time I asked a local gunsmith (Stan Jackson) he charged $100 to do the complete conversion.
    Tennessee

Default thanks guys

I know about the magazine conversion, I just want another .338! I will give Stan a call.

Stan is my first choice too, of the smiths here. What barrel are you considering for your re-barrel?

Stan rebarreled a Ruger for me last year to .338 WM. Nice Lilja barrel. He also did a superb trigger job. Great shooting rifle and it is very consistent.
    Tennessee