Thread: A round of applause to Copper River Seafoods

Default A round of applause to Copper River Seafoods

Some prior posts had mention the loss of some 4000 foreign seafood processing jobs due to changes in the management of the J-1 program. This change takes effect in Nov. 2012 so this season's work isn't impacted.

I found this interesting article on the J-1 impact: http://www.anchoragepress.com/news/s...9bb2963f4.html

According to the article, in response to the changes Copper River Seafoods stated that "the company was already on its way to an overall long-term strategy of automating its plants and expanding local hire". More local hiring and automation of the grueling repetitous tasks is what the seafood processing in Alaska desperately needs - thanks and a round of appaulse to Copper River Seafoods!

However, it is depressing to see that many of the other major seafood processors had no response to the J-1 changes- "Telephoned media requests to Icicle Seafoods, Trident Seafoods and North Pacific Seafoods were left multiple times from July 2 through July 17, with no response."

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out next year. Perhaps the seafood processors will be forced to raise wages and hire more Alaskans like Copper River Seafoods is doing. Regualtions and management CAN be a good thing.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

DON'T FEED TROLLS!!

By tvfinak:

Since taking adavantage of cheap labor is enbraced by you comm guys it is clear you want a return to slavery and child labor (Post 241)

comm fishing being a "life style" has to be one of the lamest economic justifications I ever heard! A lot of people chose the life style of being a bum (Post #186)

"Vulgar and vile" is the term I would use for an industry that takes advantage of people so they can pay them insulting and demeaming low wages for hard, filthy, slimy, dangerous, back-breaking work. (Post 228)

Owners are just greedy
    (Post 222)

In my opinion the situation is totally repulsive - the industry should be ashamed to let this happen. (Post #222)

The comm fishing bully club (Post #225)

Perhaps some of you guys could show your ability with a whip? (Post #241)

there just aren't enough desperate Americans to work for near slave wages at hard, nasty, dangerous seasonal work. (Post #222)

how are you doing on your proposal to utilize child labor in the comm fishing industry? Are you going to try to use Alaska kids or import children from poor countries to cut costs even more? (Post #243)

The seafood industry will continue to troll for desperate people willing to work the nasty, wet, slime lines for minimum wages.

IF this is the best that the commercial fishing industry can provide to us Alaskans, perhaps it won't be so bad if it did disappear! (Post #222)

The fact is that the majority of Alaskans would see little impact if all the comm guys all went away (Post #120)

Reference: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=1#post1155302

Luke, I sense a lockdown in the Force.....
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Thanks for pointing that thread out.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default No pleasing some...

I start a new thread actually praising a seafood company's actions and some still complain

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Luke, I sense a lockdown in the Force.....

Do you think there's any coincidence that Copper River is based in Anchorage? Would you expect all the remote processing plants in remote areas to have access to the same pool of labor and cheap cost of living that Anchorage enjoys? What about the fact that Copper River can focus on high value products, where other parts of the industry need to focus on low-value, high volume operations.

The differences here are incredible, Anchorage has transportation, lots of workers, cheaper costs, etc. They have a very different business model than the remote processors. As a result, you can't expect the same solution to be equally acceptable to every business.

Default Lower volumn, higher prices..

There are certainly major differences between Anchorage and the remote areas.

For one, the wages are typically higher in Anchorage as there is competition for labor from higher paying industries. Foreign and imported worker don't work as well in non-isolated area- there are many distractions and mass low cost housing i.e. camps don't exist. Fish waste is harder to dispose of - processors can't just grind it up and dump it into the ocean.

Lower volumn, higher cost items generally work out better for the general population and the enviornment. Well cared for and iced red salmon for example are becoming more popular than larger numbers of less cared for fish that bring less money per pound.

My preference is generally to add as much value as possible to the Alaska products - exporting raw material - be it fish, oil, timber, minerals etc. is exporting jobs. Done correctly, this value adding can be done without negative impact to the population or the enviornment and add much to the economic health. Unfortunatly too many want to export everthing for a quick buck.

Aggain - a hand to Copper River Seafoods for doing things the way they should be done - with local help and automation. May they do well and may others follow.

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Do you think there's any coincidence that Copper River is based in Anchorage? Would you expect all the remote processing plants in remote areas to have access to the same pool of labor and cheap cost of living that Anchorage enjoys? What about the fact that Copper River can focus on high value products, where other parts of the industry need to focus on low-value, high volume operations.

The differences here are incredible, Anchorage has transportation, lots of workers, cheaper costs, etc. They have a very different business model than the remote processors. As a result, you can't expect the same solution to be equally acceptable to every business.