Thread: Late September/Early October Weather in the Sterling Area?

Default Late September/Early October Weather in the Sterling Area?

(I posted this question on the saltwater fishing forum the other day but since we primarily fish the middle Kenai from just outside of Sterling and since the weather varies so much from one place to the next in AK, I thought it might be better asked here)

I have always come (to the Cabin on the Kenai outside of Sterling) for the early Silver run in late August. This year we are going for the second run and won't be arriving until September 26th and will be staying for 2 weeks. What kind of weather should we expect? Average temps, rain, wind, ect? I know it will be colder than late August but hopefully still tolerable.

Any particular clothing recommendations that any of you have found to work well for cold weather fishing? I am wondering about some gloves that could be worn while operating a rod and reel. I currently just use the wool, flip open, mitten/gloves with exposed finger tips.

You're asking for a weather report 6 weeks away??
    Well here goes: late September/early October - expect rain (may turn to snow if its cool enough and it will be cool enough). You may see some sunny days (bring sunglasses), but the bug population should have flown south by now. Temps could be sub-freezing - all day. Frosty mornings will be the rule - expect to have to deal with iced guides (on the rod). Yes, it will be cooler than late August, but its still "tolerable" - it is for me at any rate.
    The mitts/gloves you describe will work. I preferr just the fingerless wool gloves. Bring a few pairs, so you can keep warm while the wet ones dry out. Bring some of the small chemical handwarmers - I slip one into each glove on top of my hand or if its really cold place it on the inside of the wrist area. Bring plenty & use them inside your boots, too. Wool beanie caps that can fold down over the ears, for sure.
    Good luck & have fun.

Thanks for the input. I'm not asking for weather report so much as a an expected synopsis I guess. From what I gather, the average high temp around that time is about 52 and the average low is about 35 or so which is warmer than I expected. It sounds like anywhere from about 20 to 60 degrees is a possibility and sun, rain and even snow may be in the forecast with rain almost guaranteed for at least a portion of the trip.

For us, silver fishing has traditionally been better on drizzly, overcast days and I would imagine that holds true later into the fall as well. If so, a nice overcast day with some light snow falling might make for some memorable silver fishing!