Thread: Primered shells took a bath

Default Primered shells took a bath

I sent my young son out to the shed to clean some shells in Birchwood Casey shell cleaner. Problem is, he soaked the wrong bucket, which were already primered and ready to load. I came out just after he had soaked them for about 2 minutes, and we dried them off as quickly as possible. Are the primers ruined? If so, what is the best way to decap them?

Chances are they are fine but Id not risk it for the price of primers. Plane water will not effect them as long as they are dried back out, they make a water slurry of the stuff to get it into the cup. I dont know what the cleaner may do and it wouldnt be worth finding out the hard way . . . could be a waste of powder, spending dollars to save dimes.

De-cap them just like spent primers, you will be fine. Ive only set off one in many years of doing it and that was from running the handle real fast with a dedicated decamping die, slammed it too hard. It was quite startling with the bang and primer hitting my leg but not at all dangerous, it would have to hit you in an open eyeball to do anything more than scare the dickens out of ya.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Agreed. Though the solution might or might not have harmed them once they're dry again, the problem is getting them dry. Once you get a little water in there it could take months to dry through the flash hole. Dump the primers. My experiences removing live primers are the same.

Why does this sound like something MY son would do!!! I would definatly swap them over and start fresh, no reason to risk it for a few bucks of primers. Part of the lesson for your son is to help you re-prime them cases.

I agree the the masses.

De-cap them with a smooth slow stroke and you will be fine. Be sure to wear safety glasses and remove all flammables from your work area.

I've never had a live primer go off while de-capping but it can happen.

Thanks gentlemen. De-capping will be the order of the day, and lesson learned about giving specific directions and carrying them through!

Well, I would soak them again and then decap them with gloves and safety glasses. Moisture will ruin the primers. I stored some primers in a shed and when I loaded them some of them wouldnt ignite due to moisture they accumulated. I now store all my primers in ziplocks!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It's near impossible to disable a primer permanently.

Dry them out Long Enough, from water, oil, or solvent, and they can still go off. But, they would probably be effected.

Like was said, just decap them. If one does goes off it will make you jump, but IME, any harm is unlikely.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Wearing safety glasses, and being carefull, de-prime and chalk it up to exprince.

There's no way of knowing how much residue would be left in the case, or in the primer area.

Just look at the Haz-mat sheet for the cleaner.

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/file...ASECLEANER.pdf

All kinds of "interesting" things could happen if the primer does fire.

stuff like a stuck projectile (from not nuff fire), or an over-pressure load- - either is a dangerous situation.

good luck,
    Chris

remember: Experience keeps you out of bad situations, bad situations give you that experience!

CY

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    All kinds of "interesting" things could happen if the primer does fire.

stuff like a stuck projectile (from not nuff fire), or an over-pressure load- - either is a dangerous situation.

good luck,
    Chris

remember: Experience keeps you out of bad situations, bad situations give you that experience!

CY
    That's a reely good point.

Just because the primer goes off, doesn't mean it wasn't effected.

When I made a test a few years back some of them only went "poof".

I think there is a risk of hangfires, and poor ignition, in general.

Like AD said, "Id not risk it for the price of primers.".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I punched 'em all and reprimed. "Live and learn.", my momma always said.