Thread: Bowhunting Eielson

Default Bowhunting Eielson

Hello all, I'm a new guy on here and just moved up to North Pole last August. My wife and I are hoping to take a moose and maybe caribou this fall. We both were certified on Eielson and IBEP recently and have all the required certifications and licenses to hunt on Eielson land with bows.

We're hoping to meet up with some people that have hunted the base lands for moose before for any pointers or general advice. I'm mainly interested in hunting the other side of the Richardson highway if anyone has experience on that side.

We're also hoping to make a trip up the haul road for caribou sometime soon. Not looking for specific hot spots or anything but just general advice on what to pack and what to expect for the camping part of the trip.

Thanks and good hunting!

Wow, don't everyone speak at once! I take it not many up here like to open up about hunting? Fair enough. We'll get it done on our own I guess.

I think it has a lot to do with timing more then no one wanting to help ya out.. Opening day of sheep as wells as other things all going on now so lots of hunters are in the field... Cant help you with the moose up your way but I have hunted the haul rd many times. Great hunt for new bowhunters up here and just hunting in general. Depending on time of year you can get a chance at many stalks on caribou..

Welcome to Eielson AFB,

Im assuming your are military? I am staitioned here at Eielson and have been here since 2007 and have found several areas around that seem to hold some good bulls each year. If you like we could meet up and possibly do some scouting. I drew a cow tag for the Eielson area and have been donig some scouting this year and have been seeing some desent bulls around so if you would like some help please let me know.

Feel free to message me on here or call or text me at 907-687-5746

Thanks for the reply Bear, I was getting worried I stumbled into a don't ask don't tell zone, so to speak. It didn't dawn on me that sheep season was starting. We're definitely excited about getting up the haul road sometime soon. Hoping to find a moose first though since that's a lot closer to us.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter1 View Post
    Welcome to Eielson AFB,

Im assuming your are military? I am staitioned here at Eielson and have been here since 2007 and have found several areas around that seem to hold some good bulls each year. If you like we could meet up and possibly do some scouting. I drew a cow tag for the Eielson area and have been donig some scouting this year and have been seeing some desent bulls around so if you would like some help please let me know.

Feel free to message me on here or call or text me at 907-687-5746
    Well that sounds like a pretty great offer! I'm actually not military, I got out in 2009 at the end of my first enlistment. My wife is still active duty though. She's in the dental sq at Eielson.

Quote Originally Posted by weathermark View Post
    Hello all, I'm a new guy on here and just moved up to North Pole last August. My wife and I are hoping to take a moose and maybe caribou this fall. We both were certified on Eielson and IBEP recently and have all the required certifications and licenses to hunt on Eielson land with bows.

We're hoping to meet up with some people that have hunted the base lands for moose before for any pointers or general advice. I'm mainly interested in hunting the other side of the Richardson highway if anyone has experience on that side.

We're also hoping to make a trip up the haul road for caribou sometime soon. Not looking for specific hot spots or anything but just general advice on what to pack and what to expect for the camping part of the trip.

Thanks and good hunting!

Weathermark, Welcome to the site and Alaska. I'm sure you'll enjoy it up here like the rest of up and never want to leave. As for hunting the haul road, I have been up there a few times and getting ready to head back up with some friends in two weeks. I don't know if your interested or have the time to go but your more then welcome to join us. You can reach me on my cell at 907-750-4740.

Terry

When I was assigned to Eielson back in 98-03 I killed two bulls with in a mile of each other over the years. My first one was with a rifle on the husky drop zone and the second was with a bow just before the AF/Army border on transmitter. This bull is my avatar, I was stopped in the road waiting for a cow to move out of the way and looked in the rearview mirror and saw him looking in the back window of my expedition. Needless to say I didn't waste too much time letting him clear the road and double lunged him at 35 yrds. That area all along the border of AF/Army land seems to have held lots of moose back then. Check out the area behind french creek housing too. I used to see lots of moose in my back yard when I lived there.
    Good luck,
    Steve-O