Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stove Fuel requirement on air charters

Default Stove Fuel requirement on air charters

I am sitting here in the office at 40 mile air and they are not letting people board the plane who have ISO butane canisters. Please remember to bring liquid fuel or propane canisters. Just wanted to give everybody a heads up.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Yep, bringing my liquid fuel stove with with 64 oz of liquid fuel....

Not an issue with wrights air. Any canister with a DOT number is ok per Ken at Wrights.

Good on you. Crapping dry mountain house for 7 days in the hills doesn't sound like fun.

Are they doing a bag check or asking for folks to show their stove?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Well, I guess I need to check with my air taxi. It is good to know some allow it and others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by granby45 View Post
    Well, I guess I need to check with my air taxi. It is good to know some allow it and others don't.
    Personally I'd keep whatever your air taxi recommends between you and him. Mine told me bear spray was his only concern and I dam well better make sure it's packed in the floats before takeoff.

But that's just my .02.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Personally I'd keep whatever your air taxi recommends between you and him. Mine told me bear spray was his only concern and I dam well better make sure it's packed in the floats before takeoff.

But that's just my .02.
    Agree wholeheartly. Stuff like "so & so didn't make us leave xyz home earlier this year.", gets around and soon everybody is on the same page, due to FAA intervention.

Wrights said no on the iso butane for us last year and that included the snopeak with the DOT sticker because it is not a DOT approval that qualifies it for transport on a passenger aircraft. Yes it can fly but only on a cargo flight. Once you hand over money and climb on board it can't be there with you.

Well Ken said otherwise within the last 2 months, so I'll go with what the horses mouth says.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Well Ken said otherwise within the last 2 months, so I'll go with what the horses mouth says.
    I am not making things up.... The Snow Peak Giga Power ProIso cylinders are covered under DOT-SP 12274 which is a special exemption that expires Dec of 2013 unless renewed.

Direct from section 9 of the Snow Peak DOT documentation.
    9. MODES OF TRANSPORTATION AUTHORIZED: Motor vehicle, rail freight, cargo vessel, and cargo ONLY aircraft.
    Read it here yourself.
    http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles...2009090425.pdf

Ken is 100% correct in his statement that if it has a valid DOT sticker it can fly, the DOT sticker however on the Snow Peak is not VALID for air travel on a passenger aircraft.

Hey LuJon, can we delete this thread or parts of it? I would hate for any specific carrier to get nailed because they offered someone something, or if it appear so because of a misunderstanding. The NTSB and FAA are known to go through forums looking for information such as this, especially after accidents happen. You would be amazed at stuff that comes up that is completely unrelated or irrelevant that gets people in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by 907Pilot View Post
    Hey LuJon, can we delete this thread or parts of it? I would hate for any specific carrier to get nailed because they offered someone something, or if it appear so because of a misunderstanding. The NTSB and FAA are known to go through forums looking for information such as this, especially after accidents happen. You would be amazed at stuff that comes up that is completely unrelated or irrelevant that gets people in trouble.
    I tend to agree but want to make it clear that It was Wright Air that explained to me that the DOT info on the Snow Peak cylinders was NOT an approved for air transport on their passenger flights. I suppose if someone reeeeaaaalllly wanted to take their ISO-Butane stove they could arrange a cargo only drop to their strip, but I suspect that would run about $3,000 or more and for that I will just haul white gas on my next trip.

40 Mile Air sent me a letter last spring that spelled out the stove restrictions, it shouldn't be a suprise to anyone.

So is a jet boil fine to take?
    Thanks just want to be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1 View Post
    So is a jet boil fine to take?
    Thanks just want to be clear.
    Not from what everyone has been saying. Looks like this year everyone better have liquid fuel stoves with them or they are going to be eating uncooked Mt House meals.

A good buddy of mine got stuck on this one on his way out this week as well. I checked the hazmat regs and sure enough iso butane is “forbidden” on any passenger carrying flight. Ok as cargo only as LuJon mentioned. I guess they must have stepped up enforcement/education at the FAA.

I did a little digging and found an interesting option, listed below:
    http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....acking-ii.html
    Lots of good stove info. Guy seems a little paranoid, but obviously doesn’t want to wind up getting sued.

I found the valve on e-bay here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/140784872518...84.m1497.l2649

I got one for S&Gs and will report how it works. I suspect the Bullshooter could have made a fortune on them this week.

Of course by the time you add all that junk to your light weight stove you are WAY better off going back to a liquid fuel stove. On a longer trip they are usually lighter anyway. I do like the jet boil for a quick convent way to heat water.

Good luck to all this Sheep season! I hope the next suprise is how big he is when you walk up to him.

A buddy just sent me a link to what looks like a neat little stove, BioLite Camp Stove only sticks and twigs required. I wouldn't bet my camping trip on it yet. But I am going to get one and try it out.

And for you techie's out there it's got a little thermoelectric generator and a USB port to charge your smart phones, rechargeable LED lights, etc.

Biolight.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    A buddy just sent me a link to what looks like a neat little stove, BioLite Camp Stove only sticks and twigs required. I wouldn't bet my camping trip on it yet. But I am going to get one and try it out.

And for you techie's out there it's got a little thermoelectric generator and a USB port to charge your smart phones, rechargeable LED lights, etc.

Biolight.jpg
    I saw that one a few weeks back Kelvin, let us know how it works out!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Crapping dry mountain house for 7 days in the hills doesn't sound like fun.
    Not crapping 7 days worth of Mountain House sounds worse...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

ummm no it don't.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast