Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Something odd with the Yentna fish

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    282

    Default Something odd with the Yentna fish

    We were fishing off the Yentna last weekend and came across something that I found odd. We always catch fish throughout the season that have "war wounds", but this year there have been way more than usual. Some of the wounds are fresh yet others have a strong pus like substance oozing from them. What I found most odd is that a couple of silvers that we caught showed obvious signs of something nasty festering under their skin, but the wound had not yet "opened". These areas were up to baseball size in diameter. When cleaning the silvers, whether the fish had a war wound or not, I noticed that we were running into some partially mushy meat. Has anyone else encountered anything similar this year? I wish I had brought one of the worst cases in to F&G for testing

  2. #2

    Default

    Lots of the fish (sockeye) I caught in the Kenai this year had net marks or big wounds. Many have lots of fungus too. That is a result of falling out of the drift gill nets. Most will probably survive to spawn, some won't. Lots more fish with wounds this year due to drift gill nets fishing every day.

  3. #3
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    That is a result of falling out of the drift gill nets. Most will probably survive to spawn, some won't.
    The science says otherwise....

    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...9.01673.x/full


    A substantial portion (1129%) of spawning sockeye salmon exhibited clear signs of past entanglement with commercial gillnets. Survival among such fish was significantly reduced. More than half of the fish that reach natal spawning grounds with fishery-related injuries fail to reproduce. This suggests that estimates of spawning stocks are inflated by 515% at minimum.

    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    We were fishing off the Yentna last weekend and came across something that I found odd. We always catch fish throughout the season that have "war wounds", but this year there have been way more than usual. Some of the wounds are fresh yet others have a strong pus like substance oozing from them. What I found most odd is that a couple of silvers that we caught showed obvious signs of something nasty festering under their skin, but the wound had not yet "opened". These areas were up to baseball size in diameter. When cleaning the silvers, whether the fish had a war wound or not, I noticed that we were running into some partially mushy meat. Has anyone else encountered anything similar this year? I wish I had brought one of the worst cases in to F&G for testing
    Never seen one "baseball size" but in some watersheds such stuff can be found. I know one where a small # of both the silvers and reds have them. We call them "puss pockets," and they can usually be seen when you land the fish as lumps or bumps. Seems to fluctuate up and down year by year. Talked to a bio and he said it was a parasite, but danged if I can recall the Latin name. Nothing to do with nets and such. He proposed that the fluctuation indicated more or less stress. Also said the critter that causes it lives in the watershed, and the youngsters pick it up before they head to sea and carry it all their lives.

  5. #5
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default Furunculosis

    0047_001.jpg

    Furunculosis

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Never seen one "baseball size" but in some watersheds such stuff can be found. I know one where a small # of both the silvers and reds have them. We call them "puss pockets," and they can usually be seen when you land the fish as lumps or bumps. Seems to fluctuate up and down year by year. Talked to a bio and he said it was a parasite, but danged if I can recall the Latin name. Nothing to do with nets and such. He proposed that the fluctuation indicated more or less stress. Also said the critter that causes it lives in the watershed, and the youngsters pick it up before they head to sea and carry it all their lives.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  6. #6

    Default

    You got it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •