Thread: Sheep hunting sleeping bag?

Question Sheep hunting sleeping bag?

I've got a 20-degree Wiggy bag that is my go to bag for most any camping/hunting situation (0-degree bag too hot except that my wife loves it). However, I am thinking that if I ever can make a sheep hunt, the Wiggy bag may be too bulky and heavy (at almost 4 lbs) for hauling up mountains. Any recommendations?

Thanks much.

Down or synthetic?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Down or synthetic?
    I'm not sure, looking for suggestions. It would be for alpine hunting.

Certainly a huge topic of discussion going down vs synthetic. Down has the weight advantage, synthetic has the warmth when wet advantage.

Personally I have a few of each. I use a Feathered Friends 20* bag with a TiGoat bivy and man, it's just super comfy. I keep it tucked away in an eVent compression bag and it doesn't come out except inside the tent. It packs up just a bit bigger than a Nalgene bottle.

But that's just me.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Honestly I think you can use the $300-$500 you'd spend on a down bag to save weight else where. Whether its a lighter pack, tent, or maybe even a rifle. The difference between a 20 degree wiggy's and a 20 degree down is at the most 2 pounds of savings. Like I said I'd look at your tent or pack, or some smaller items like stove, water filter setup, headlamp, or sleeping pad.

Solid points, A_L.

Down if your sleeping in a tent and you won't be out bivying. Synthetic if your leaving your tent setup as a spike camp and there's a high chance of you spending a night on the mountain in a tarp/bivy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Honestly I think you can use the $300-$500 you'd spend on a down bag to save weight else where. Whether its a lighter pack, tent, or maybe even a rifle. The difference between a 20 degree wiggy's and a 20 degree down is at the most 2 pounds of savings. Like I said I'd look at your tent or pack, or some smaller items like stove, water filter setup, headlamp, or sleeping pad.

Agreed. I'm hauling a wiggys up, not too worried about the weight.

At last count I have 2 down bags in the 10-15 degree range 2 wiggys bags, glacier hunter and superlight. I will take the Glacier Hunter for really wet hunts and as a base camp bag to leave at the strip on a fly in with a high weight allowance. The biggest reason I prefer my Western Mountaineering 10* sack is for the packed size savings though the weight is nice too. Every piece of gear I have is a XXL and it all ads up FAST! Fighting bulk has been just as much a challenge as cutting weight for me. I have eliminated all fleece from my gear and cut out the tried and true impertech in favor of a packable rain shell. Heck even less shirts, socks and underbritches thanks to merino wool. I even moved to a smaller sleeping pad because it packs down about 1/2 the size of my old one. Last year the entire camp and 1/2 a sheep fit in the bag with nothing hanging and without my saddle pockets mounted, had I connected on an animal my first trip in the mountains I would have had looked like a hippie with all sorts of junk strapped to my pack for the trip out. Heck I still have all that junk except the barneys bag that I sold off. I should pull it all out and weigh it against it's replacement one of these days!

I think one of the things with the wiggy bag is it's bulk; however, I do have the Reg/wid model because I felt like I was in straight jacket in the Reg/Reg version.

I will be going back through all my gear, of which I probably have too much/too big. I'll probably go a bit smaller/newer with a lot of stuff. And, some will depend on how the guide is set up - when I get ready hopefully in a couple of years (the cabin we've bought up on the Yentna has pushed back any guided hunts a bit).

I run a Western Mountaineering bag, weighs in at around 2.2 pounds fully wind and waterproof and packs down to the size of a 8 by 11 sheet of paper. Its rated to 15 or 10. Full goose down but with the shell being waterproof you don't have to worry as much about the down getting wet. I agree you can save weight in other places so do that as well. I like everything to be as light as it can. WHat are you running for a tent. The Easton Kilo is unbelievable in strenght durability and weight I bought the 2 man, which is great for 2 guys and it weighs a little over 3 pounds. If you suffer sleeping because of a crappy sleeping bag it affects your whole hunt

Quote Originally Posted by F&T View Post
    I run a Western Mountaineering bag, weighs in at around 2.2 pounds fully wind and waterproof and packs down to the size of a 8 by 11 sheet of paper.
    Boy......I'd like to see that....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ Here is a link for anyone wanting to do some more reasearch on them, I found the best place or best prices where at Backcountry.com

WHat are you running for a tent.
    I'm following the other thread for that question, though I've been looking at the Tarptent products.

I just got the Easton Kilo 3 person tent. Its unbelievable It made it through a couple bad thunder storms already and I'm heading out for 18 days elk hunitng with it in about a month. So far I love it easy to set up tons of room for gear and it seems to be tough as nails. It weighs in around 3.5lbs I bought the footprint for it as well just to save on the bottom. Just type in Easton Kilo or go and watch some videos on it on Youtube

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ Here is a link for anyone wanting to do some more reasearch on them, I found the best place or best prices where at Backcountry.com
    AMH also carries WM bags but sadly the price is "hundredS" more. I will soak up some added expense to but local but I can't do several hundred dollars so I also went to backcountry when I ordered mine.