Thread: bronze vs stainless impellers

Default bronze vs stainless impellers

I am new to the 3 stage impeller thing. I have been running an outboard until recently. My buddies have inboards and replaced their aluminum impellers with stainless. I get that they are more durable and the same cost new. I have replaced one of my bronze impellers with new stainless (it was REALLY bad). It is the 24deg in the rear as suggested by Kodiak. I am running the other two 19deg that I cleaned up.

My question is, how durable is the bronze? I am going down the yukon soon and would like to think they will be OK, but I have my doubts. My buddy ran an aluminum impeller two years ago and noticed a big difference towards the end of the trip with cavitation. I don't really want to spend the almost 2k on new impellers. I also don't want to rebuild the bronze ones if they are going to need replacing anyways.

I am load testing this weekend, but I expect I will be fine with my estimated hunting weights as the boat sits. If I am a dog, then I will likely just have to roast a credit card and go buy the new impellers. Then I will have to ask about the overlaps. GEESH, this sport gets expensive.

If you can afford it then stainless is the only way to go. Much more durable than Bronze or Aluminum. The Yukon has a lot of silicon in the silt and it is hard on impellars, even stainless. Save your self the money in the long run with stainless. Get on a couple jet boat forums and look at the classifieds. would be a great start. Lots of good information on impellers on there. Hope that helps